"Service Brake System" accompanied by SERIOUS truck freakout. PLEASE help us!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by theclicks, Jun 23, 2010.

1. theclicks

theclicks New Member

Hi everyone!

We're new here and are in desperate need of any advice from someone who has experienced/heard of this problem.

We have an '06 2500 HD Silverado with 43k miles. Here are the symptoms and, for the record, it only happens during/after rain. Obviously moisture is getting in somewhere but we can't figure out where and neither can our mechanic.

This has been going on since December. And, believe it or not, it has never happened during business hours! So every time we have dropped it off for service, they have not been able to replicate. Assuming because whatever was wet had time to dry off.

Symptoms:
    -ABS light comes on
    -Service Brake System displays
    -Chiming noise
    -Can't accelerate above 20-30 or it just goes into neutral & revs
    -Transmission slips during acceleration - after being stopped
    -Shudders when braking

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/suggestions!

theclicks

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

One more symptom I forgot:

-needle on speedometer bounces all over the place

2. GSPKurt

GSPKurt Rockstar

The dealer needs to get involved so they can do a computer diagnosis. That's crazy!

3. swedp

swedp Rockstar

the problem looks like a coputer issiu,over here they charge you 100-130 dollar just for to hook it up

4. theclicks

theclicks New Member

I know, it's nuts! We've had diagnostics done 8-10 times by now and nada. They charged us over $1k to replace some computer that was supposedly bad. That didn't make a lick of difference. The only thing they've done that worked (only as a bandaid) for 3-4 months was coating the ground wire in grease...

thanks for the reply!

5. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well there is your first clue. If coating the ground wire made some changes then start looking at any and all grounds. Could be a bad ground wire somewhere.

6. jeepgirl81

jeepgirl81 New Member

was a solution ever found for this???

my 03 sierra 2500 is doing the exact thing as described in the first thread of this post. I am curious if it was ever fixed? and what was it? I was advised by a friend that works at a Chevrolet dealership to ck into my ignition switch but if i could get some advise from someone who's already been through this it would be an amazing help!