Service Engine Light

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Country_Boy92, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Country_Boy92

Country_Boy92 Member

I have a 93 chevy 1500 and the service engine light just came up... it keeps on wanting to die on me.. and it is to old to get the computer scans... i was wondering what the problem could be if someone can help! thanks!

2. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Could me many issues. Personally I have found that the first thing I check is the O2 sensor then the catalytic.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Its not to old to get scanned, you just need to find a shop/someome with a scanner capabile of scanning older trucks.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

You need a scanner that can scan OBD-I trucks.

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You can definately have it scanned like previously posted, hell my mt2500 scanner goes back to 1980!!

5. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Isn't there a trick with a paper clip that will get the truck to give you the code in the form of a flashing light? I know there is a post on here about how to do it.

6. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Some older models allowed you to turn the key on then off then on again and the flashes of the light would send you in a specific direction to troubleshoot