1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

"Service Engine Soon" light

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by gaboytroupco, Nov 24, 2009.

1. gaboytroupco

gaboytroupco New Member

Hello guys, I'm new to this sight although I have utilized similar forums in the past for other vehicles that I had (Fords). I have come full circle and returned to a GM product after having driven Ford products for the past ten years. The problem I am having is that I recently purchased a 1993 GMC Sierra 5.0L 4x4 after selling a 2001 Ford Mustang GT. The Sierra has been smoking slightly when first cranked as if valve ring seals need replacing which I intend to fix as soon as the hunting season here in Georgia is finished at the end of December. The other day while driving the vehicle a "Service Engine Soon" light came on and stayed on. The truck was due an oil change so I changed the oil, unplugged the battery for about fifteen minutes to reset the ECU, and then plugged the battery back up and cranked the truck back up. The truck ran for about five minutes without the light on and the light then came on again. I have noticed no differences in the way the vehicle drives or any other performance issue that would relate what this light is about. I have not yet tried to pull a code on the truck and wasn't really sure if that could be done on this vehicle as the only Chevy's I have ever had were older (70's and 80's) models and I have been working on the Modular Ford motors that I have owned for the past ten years. I am not completely sure what the issue could be, other then possibly an o2 sensor, however, less simply throwing money at the problem and hoping it fixes my problem I have no idea where to begin. I also thought that maybe the issue was a fouled plug(s) from the smoking but as I said before I really am not sure. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  4. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!:glasses: Glad to have you here!
  5. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  6. gaboytroupco

gaboytroupco New Member

Thanks for the trouble code info. I think I can at least diagnose the issue now. If I have any other questions I will let you guys know. Thanks.
  7. wannabe

wannabe New Member

should run the code on it first with more information.
  8. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the forum!!
  9. 97chevz71

97chevz71 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

What i would do is when you park it for the night take the gas cap off. then when you get up in the morning put it back on with at least 10 clicks then it should turn off after 5 minutes. if this is not the case then go to autozone and have then run the codes for free.
  10. GMPartsClub

GMPartsClub Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts GMTC Sponsor