Service intervals - oil changes especially.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by JAS_2013Silverado1500, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

I change mine every 4-6k. Frequency is better but not neccessary.

2. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I have gotten more comfortable with longer intervals. Semi trucks have been getting oil change intervals extended right along with the small stuff we use. I had a 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel (6.5 quart sump so just a half quart more than our V8's) that the OEM recommendation was over 11,000 miles on normal driving. Semi truck engines, like the Detroit DD15 engine, are getting OEM recommended oil change intervals of... get this... 50,000 miles! Wasn't that long ago, that to take a semi truck engine beyond 20,000 miles was almost criminal. There is ample evidence that using high quality oils and the Oil Life Monitor is working out just fine. I have never heard or seen of anyone having an oil sample tested that it showed the oil condition in critical territory under these longer intervals. It is just that our old habits die hard.

But even then, with my new 2013 I bought the 1st week of June, I did an oil change at around 1200 miles to get the factory fill out and get new oil in there. One of those habits that probably will not die until I do. But now that the initial change is done, now follow the OLM to 10% then change.

3. steved

steved Former Member

The last truck (Dodge Cummins) I owned I installed (several iterations of) bypass filters, and did oil analysis. I took one fill of regular old conventional Rotella 15w40 to around 45k miles. That oil came back suitable for continued use. On a side note, the best filtration I had was achieved using a filter that used a roll of paper towels.

Modern engine oils are pretty robust...

4. GuyGene

GuyGene Member

That's the ticket, stch! 6,000 miles is good (for my truck that you are currently taking care of for me!). Hey, y'all, I'm wanting to buy old stch's truck when he sells it real cheap in about 4 years :).

5. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Cheap is relative. Just because I get rid of them every 4-6 years, does not mean I sell them for a song.

6. GuyGene

GuyGene Member

stch, stch, I'm jestin'.

7. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I know. I actually really like the 2013 I have right now. It's the first vehicle I've ever owned with leather and real fake wood. I'll have the truck paid off in about 1.5 years, but you never know what idea I'm going to get.

8. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

5,000mi for me as it's easy to keep up with! I use Mobile1 synthetic......

9. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I, too, am an old gearhead (63). I don't want to offend anyone, but changing every 3K is a massive waste of time, money, and resources. That was the interval in 1960...do you think maybe we have improved our lubricants and filters just a bit since then???? As another poster stated, our engine improvements have resulted in very clean and efficient engines. You know, in 1960, you were considered very lucky to get 100K out of a motor. Now, I fully expect to get 250K out of any motor without a rebuild. The old farts, and I am one of them, who listened to our dads when we grew up need to realize that tremendous progress has been made, and we need to make the sensible changes. If you use dino oil, 4K under very dirty conditions, and 6-8K under normal. If you use sythentics, 6K and 10K. If any of you doubt this, google "the truth about motor oil life", and you will be bombarded with numerous engineer and scientist tests that bear this out. Stop helping your mechanic earn his next vacation...change oil sensibly.

10. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Well said [MENTION=58092]buckmeister2[/MENTION], and as an other old gearhead, I agree completely. Stop wasting our resources.