1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Service light v.s check engine light

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by redbone, Jul 21, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. redbone

redbone New Member

Just put about $800 in my truck 2 months ago. Its a '98 k1500 4x4 with 135k miles. Tuneup done recently. I had tried to pass a slow moving vehicle this past weekend and had to gun it. power seemed down because I couldnt pass the vehicle LOL. Moments later I notice the service engine light on but its running fine. What could it be now? and whats the differance with the check and service engine lights and could the passing attempt have caused something to fail?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The SES and CEL are the same people just call them two different things since auto makers have in the past put one of the two lights in the cars. you will want to have the code pulled (any local auto parts store will be able to do this for you) and go from there on what the issue is. Let us know and we will be able to help you.