Service Stabilitrak, Service Traction Control, and Reduced Engine Power -- anyone?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by mjs84, Dec 14, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. csears

csears New Member

About 2 weeks ago my '07 Tahoe LTZ (95000+ Miles) experienced the same issue.
    The Situation (along with a fist pump):
    - Driving along normally, not doing anything out of the ordinary, when the engine begins with a short RPM increase, followed by a quick decrease of about 1,000 RPMs, followed by the following warning indications in this order in about 3 second intervals: Stabilitrak Disabled, Traction Control Disabled, Service Stabilitrak, Reduced Engine Power, Engine shook like a '57 Chevy. The engine then stalls out. It is was triggered by a sudden stop or decrease in speed. I took a video of the error the third time that it occurred will try to post.

Shop Trips:
    1) Tune Up, 30-Point Inspection, Software Update; etc. - 7 Days Later SOS

2) Replace Sensors - Next Day SOS

3) Replace Throttle Body - Picking it up today so we will see

- Keeping my fingers crossed!
  2. KillerStudio

KillerStudio New Member

My 2009 Tahoe LTZ with 19k miles is having the same problems....I took it in for service a couple of weeks ago and they said that my error codes was p0175 and p0172 (Rich fuel) and the dealer was telling me that I put e85 gas in it when I know I didn't. My truck has this vibrating sound thats coming from the top of my engine when decelerating ( around 1k rpm) and sometimes at it will make that noise in idle. My idle is very erratic but dealership says that's normal. Last night the truck didn't drive right...felt like it had a bog during acceleration then all of a sudden the stabilitrack/engine power reduced error came on. Going to the dealership again later today...do you guys think I have a bad throttle body too?

Thanks!
  3. chevychevy

chevychevy New Member

My 2009 Suburban LTZ is having the same exact problem with Service Stabilitrak message and the engine shutting off. Trying to get it serviced before anyone gets injured. Very, very dangerous if you are going to be driving on the highway. Will post with resolution.
  4. rdistrict2

rdistrict2 New Member

Mjs84 Have you had anymore problems since replacing the throttle body?
  5. pmf608

pmf608 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Having spent some time working with the guys who specialize in diagnostics at my local dealer, I can tell you that they don't test things because they cant afford to. When GM determines the amount of time it will take to fix a problem, they don't account for getting the required tools, or going to the parts department to get parts, fluids, etc. The result is that the service time on warranty work is almost always shorter than the time the mechanic will spend working on it. Because GM only assigns so much time, they only pay so much time. Anything over GM's specified time, and the mechanic will either be working for free or they will have to go the the service manager and request additional time, which ends up being paid by the dealer rather than by GM. Since there really is no extra time to test parts too thoroughly on warranty vehicles, the mechanic just has to follow what the GM service information tells them to do or else they won't make money.

That being said, there seem to be a few possible causes for this set of symptoms - the throttle body issues mentioned in this thread, computer issues, and I have personally seen the computer activate this same safety mode for a misfire caused by a loose wiring connector on an ignition coil.
  6. bvogts25

bvogts25 New Member 100 Posts

its been forever since i posted on the site, but when i saw this email i thought i'd chime in.

my problem ended up being that my intake wasn't on all the way. I had to put in a new set of hids and i took the intake off and i didnt get it on all the way and it actually came disconnected from the intake manifold (oops). popped the hood and it was hanging from the air box. so it actually saved my engine from damaging, unfiltered air.

so a possible solution, and to maybe save a trip from the dealer, check the intake path and make sure everything is connected properly
  7. pmf608

pmf608 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Just one more thing I thought of for anyone who might be having this problem - the 2007+ trucks have the ability to detect the percentage of ethanol in the fuel that has been put into them. At the time I was working at the GM dealer, 5% was the highest that was normal here, but we worked on a few trucks that came in with these issues that when we hooked up the Tech2, they showed around 35% ethanol. I think what happens in that case is that the engine changes its timing to be compatible with ethanol fuels (to make the FlexFuel engines run better on e85 and such) but since the fuel is still normal, it doesn't run properly. When the computer detects this improper running, it goes into limp mode. A reset of the ethanol % using the Tech2 always fixed this problem and only took a few minutes.
  8. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'm having this problem for about the 10th time. My dealer says its either my oiled air filter messing up the MAF. Or flooded streets makin me throw a throttle position sensor code. Any ideas what do to. I've reset my truck and tried using my iTune to clear the codes. Not sure what I need to look at first
  9. skp_sr

skp_sr New Member

has anyone actually found the root cause of this. this is driving me nuts.

i just finished replacing the whole throttle body and no change.

i have a 2007 silverado 5.3l flex
  10. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i had this problem and it was from the water getting into my sill guard. Underneath that is the IP to body harness. Water gets into the connections and causes the throttle positioning sensors to read different causes the truck to go into a protection mode. The streets n Tuscaloosa flood like crazy when it rains. To fix it you gotta find where the water is getting in seal it up and put so electric grease in the connection. Since I have done this I haven't had any problems.
    The dealer in town tried to tell me in was my kn intake so I pulled it off and put the stock one on and went back up there to show it wasn't the problem. Eventually I found some research on the Internet with a work order number. Ended up doing it myself though