Service Stabilitrak, Service Traction Control, and Reduced Engine Power -- anyone?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by mjs84, Dec 14, 2010.

1. tj45

tj45 New Member

El-Loco-Diablo,
    Please keep us up to date on any further problems..hopefully the TPS fix is the answer.Great service too!!

2. craigan

craigan New Member

Just replaced my entire throttle body. I had been experiencing the same problems. Checked the code, TPS. Dealer said they would do it free of charge, so I figured I could return the TPS I had bought and keep my knuckles clean and let a warranty issue solve itself. Well, long day at work with repetitive calls between dealer and GM, they would not cover it, saying it began throwing every electronic code associated with the throttle body. Dealer then wanted to charge me $150 for just an inspection since it amounted to more than just the recalled/warranty TPS. I didn't have "loyalty points" because I perform my own oil changes, so GM and the dealer said, "we are not worried about you and the fleet wide problems associated with this throttle body problem... we want you to buy Japanese". I ended up rolling and letting them rob me for $590. Tired of dealing with it and just vow to take the experience to heart and learn a lesson to treat people honestly. There was already another truck in for the same thing too. Service advisor said they had seen countless TPS codes, tried to change just the sensor, but needed to change the whole throttle body. Check out rockauto.com and get the throttle body for $144, save yourself the agony of battling GM. It is a dangerous item to drive with, limping around town with no power, sad GM doesn't want to help customers. Bought the truck new, only owner. Thanks for the vent. GM, boo.

3. El_Loco_Diablo

El_Loco_Diablo New Member

That's too bad craigan. I was told by the dealer at first that it is most likely the throttle body and that it is covered by my warranty providing it had never been totalled in an accident. Here is the letter-

Hello Doug, The fact that it is going into reduce power mode has nothing to do with the TPS. More likely the issue is a faulty sensor in the throttle body which General Motors has extended the warranty on and your truck would be covered providing it has never been written off in an accident. If you would like further assistance with this please feel free to contact us for an appointment.

It might still end up being the throttle body, but I am still covered. 2010 Silverado 90,000kms. Is your vehicle older or more miles?

4. craigan

craigan New Member

I have a 2010 Sierra with 76,000 miles. I was told that had I been going to the dealership for my oil changes they may have helped me out. Same though, no accidents with the vehicle. Maybe GM will work with me on it, it definitely is a fleet wide problem as evidenced by this thread. I will absolutely let everyone know if I get some positive outcome.

5. carnut802

carnut802 New Member

Had the same trouble with my 2011 Tahoe yesterday but it was -26c below zero.When I started it up after I had been shopping for about 15 minutes the reduced engine power message came on along with the engine check light.The traction control and stabilitrak messages also appeared.Limped into my dealership but the trouble cleared while they were checking it out.These intermittent troubles can be tiring.

6. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hi El_Loco_Diablo!
    We are glad to hear that your concern was resolved and that you had an amazing dealership experience!
    Please let us know if there is anything I can do to assist you or if you would like for us to let John Bridges know how happy you are.

Sarah (Assisting Jennifer)
    GM Customer Care

7. nukstr

nukstr New Member

FINALLY FIXED, "SERVICE STABILITRAK & TRACTION CONTROL DIAGNOSTIC PROBLEM:
    "SERVICE STABILITRAK",
    "SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL",
    "HARD SHIFT 1-2 GEARS"-(STABILITRAK TURNING OFF-CLUNK NOISE)
    "STABILITRAK OFF",
    "TRACTION CONTROL OFF"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CAUSE:
    FUEL WAS 45% ETHANOL @ 85-(COSTCO GAS)-COMPUTER WENT INTO LIMP MODE CAUSING (AFM) TO GET STUCK AND NOT RESET COMPUTER.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SOLUTION:
    DRAINED & CLEANED GAS TANK-
    CHANGED FUEL FILTERS (*ONLY IF NEEDED)
    CLEANED INJECTORS-
    RESET COMPUTER-
    FILLED GAS TANK WITH NO ETHANOL- (http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp)
    TOTAL AMOUNT WITH TAX: $444.86
    REFERENCES
    (STABILITRAK CLUNK NOISE): http://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...21/2010-silverado-stabilitrak-question-47580/
    (AFM)-Definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Fuel_Management
    (ETHANOL): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_ethanol_fuel_mixtures
    (GAS STATIONS WITHOUT ETHANOL): http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  8. cobalt450

cobalt450 New Member

Gents----We have a 010 Yukon XL Denali. Experienced the Stabilitrak/Traction Control, Reduced Engine Power combo yesterday. 80,000 miles. I pulled the throttle body off, cleaned it up. It was actually pretty dirty. Same symptoms. Question-should I leave it as it so the codes show when I bring it to the dealer, or disconnect the battery to reset/more safely cover the 8 miles to the dealer? Thanks!

9. butterfly2pretty

butterfly2pretty New Member

I just bought a 2007 Yukon 2 1/2 months ago. Three days ago (Sunday) I came back from a short trip (180 miles total) to my brakes going out and a rotor basically grinding, terribly... Having to work Monday, I had to wait to have my father look at my truck. I went ahead and bought brake pads and a rotor to take to my father, for a quick repair. However, my traction control light came on for service & my engine light is blinking. My dad met me in town and we rode over to the dealer I bought it from and they hooked it up to the computer.

It came up as cylinder #4. They replaced the injector. I went to pick it up and they said they replaced it but it still did not fix the problem. The computer indicated cylinder #1 this time. Drove my truck on to my dad's and he looked at it and changed one sparkplug and of course the brakes/rotor. He checked the cylinders, stems & valves... No obvious issues.

My truck still has a miss, the engine rocks and makes a rocking noise AND the service traction control, traction control is off, stabilitrak needs serviced & engine light comes on/stays on. Not to mention, my cruise works on/off and my rear window wiper doesn't work anymore... :-((((

Can somebody please let me know if you had these similar problems, what worked as far as repair...???
    Thanks!!
    C. Martin

10. nukstr

nukstr New Member

[HR][/HR]FINALLY FIXED, "SERVICE STABILITRAK & TRACTION CONTROL DIAGNOSTIC PROBLEM:
    "SERVICE STABILITRAK",
    "SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL",
    "HARD SHIFT 1-2 GEARS"-(STABILITRAK TURNING OFF-CLUNK NOISE)
    "STABILITRAK OFF",
    "TRACTION CONTROL OFF"
    CAUSE:
    FUEL WAS 45% ETHANOL @ 85-(COSTCO GAS)-COMPUTER WENT INTO LIMP MODE CAUSING (AFM) TO GET STUCK AND NOT RESET COMPUTER.
    SOLUTION:
    DRAINED & CLEANED GAS TANK-
    CHANGED FUEL FILTERS (*ONLY IF NEEDED)
    CLEANED INJECTORS-
    RESET COMPUTER-
    FILLED GAS TANK WITH NO ETHANOL- (Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada)
    TOTAL AMOUNT WITH TAX: $444.86
    REFERENCES
    (STABILITRAK CLUNK NOISE): 2010 Silverado stabiliTrak question
    (AFM)-Definition: Active Fuel Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (ETHANOL): Common ethanol fuel mixtures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (GAS STATIONS WITHOUT ETHANOL): Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada