Service Stabilitrak, Service Traction Control, Cruise Control/Brake Light Switch Issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jt35, Feb 16, 2017.

1. jt35

jt35 New Member

I've searched this site and so many others and it seems many people have an issue with the Service Stabilitrak/Traction Control Lights. Many people have suggested that replacing the Brake Light Switch will fix the problem. Other people complain that these issues are accompanied by reduced engine power, poor gas mileage, etc. Nobody has a concrete solution. Or, am I wrong? I hope I'm wrong.

Here's what's going on with me:

I purchased a 2007 Escalade ESV in July 2016 with 107k miles. The cruise control did not work at all when we purchased it, but there were no warning lights or any other noticeable issues with the truck. So, I replaced the Brake Light Switch with one that I purchased from the local GM dealer. The cruise control worked like a charm and there were no issues for several months. In December 2016, the cruise control started faltering - it would work sometimes but not others. I took the Brake Light Switch back to the dealer and they gave me a new one. Again, this seemed to fix the problem, but only for a few weeks. 2-3 weeks ago, we got the flashing Service Stabilitrak, Service Traction Control, Traction Control Off warnings in the message center. At first it was pretty intermittent, but now those lights come on almost every time we drive on the highway. Whenever those lights come on, the cruise control doesn't work. The cruise control works fine until those warnings appear. The vehicle DOES NOT suffer from any reduced engine power or any discernible reduction in gas mileage as noted by others with the same warning lights coming on.

Note: the dealer warrantied the first Brake Light Switch I purchased, but said they will not do any further replacements without bringing in the truck for diagnosis. Based on what I've read about similar issues with these warning lights, the dealer has no idea what to do and their guesses have cost people thousands of dollars with seemingly no solution in sight.

The most common solutions I've read, besides replacing the Brake Light Switch, include replacing the throttle body sensor or the entire throttle body. However, some folks state this has not solved their problem.

Any ideas?

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Well, CC not working when all those other errors are lite up, is the way it is designed. They're not going to let the truck drive in an auto fashion if there is some other problem.
    I suspect, the Check Engine Light is also on, you should have the codes read.

3. Prof_H

Prof_H New Member

Guess we'll have to keep reading these posts until someone comes up with a clear fix. Guess I'll try the Brake Light Switch this time. Tried the TPS replacement to no avail. Service Stabilitrak, Service Traction Control, Traction Control Off warnings continue to plague me. No codes are thrown, just a power reduction and flashing warnings. I get to the emergency lane, shut down the vehicle for a minute, then restart and I'm on my way till the next time.

4. kennyb79

kennyb79 Rockstar 100 Posts

you may have to spring for the diagnostics read...there may not be a checck engine light on, that doesnt mean that its not storing codes that could be read and diagnosed...also, if the dealer reads the codes, they can't fix anything unless you give them your go ahead.

5. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can probably buy a decent scan gauge for what the dealer charges for a "diagnostic test".

Ted