1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Service TPMS Warning-05 Yukon XL

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Pikey, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I left the gym last night and got a "Service TPMS" message on my display. I scrolled through the tire pressures and the LR was not reading. I shut the truck off and restarted it. The message remained. I drove about 5 miles and the sensor started reading again. Luckily, If I have to have the sensor changed I have a $20 off any purchase at the local tire place. Anyone dealt with these before? I have zero experience with the system so any insight will be helpful. Is the not working, then working again an indication of something? Thanks
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I have no experience, just some thoughts:
    - do they have an internal battery, or a built-in generator?
    - do they constantly transmit, or try to "talk" to the receiver?
    - they take a lot of pounding, they must be very durable.
    - how do they last as long as they do?
  3. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

The most recent issue I had was when I put my stock wheels back on. I did not dismount & remount the tire but one of the TPMS monitors was not registering and pressure was showing as zero. I called the dealership and they said it just needs to be reprogrammed; that fixed the issue. Where your issue sounds like it is intermittent it could be that the sensor is starting to fail. Is it old? Having a sensor fixed can actually be kind of pricey so it's good that you have the $20 off coupon. As you know though, keep an eye on it to see if it is a recurring issue or was an anomaly.
  4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I would assume the internal (non-changeable) battery is failing. When I bought my Escalade mine were all dead but I had no lights on the dash so I did not even know that they were dead. I was told about $100 to replace all 4.
  5. RayVoy

I may be wrong, but that sounds like just the labour to replace them. I think each sensor is $50 to $75.
  6. the phantom

Well things are a little more pricey in Canada. Theyre nothing more than a valve stem to install unless your considering having them program the vehicle for them also. My tire guy told me $25 each installed (Im sure he gets the cheap ones)but I would have to program the vehicle or learn them so to speak. I told him yank them out and put regular valve stems in since I had no lights on the dash lit up.
  7. RayVoy

Yep, it would cost me $20 just to break down the tire and re-install it.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think that there is a battery in them. It is probably failing. I assume that they are original. The sensor is $59. The tire place wants $79 total to do it. With $20 off I basically just pay for the sensor. It is acting ok now. I have lifetime balancing and rotation from the place. So, I will have them balance and rotate them. They "relearn" the system for free as part of that. They have a tool that they walk to each tire with, the horn honks and they move to the next one.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe that disabling the system like that is a felony as TPMS is a federal mandate. Not that it matters and I would probably do the same thing if all four of mine were dead.
  9. the phantom

Of course its illegal. What the heck is not any more. As soon as lawmakers figure out that vehicles are what kill people when you drink and drive. Unnecessary driving will be illegal and subject to stiff fines and penalties. NY state will lead the way with this law followed by California. Just ask governor Cuomo of NY. He will scream into his microphone to "STOP THE MADNESS"
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

When I change my factory rims for my summer Bling I keep the TPMS in the factory ones When they go back on in the Fall the reset is very easy with just letting some air out of each tire till they are learned... With The Summer rims and tires on I just ignore the light in the dash..