Service type

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by tweet02, Jan 29, 2009.

1. tweet02

tweet02 New Member

Ok, i was kinda given a 01 suburban. It has 180,000 miles on it. What service would be in order at this point in mileage. Im scared of the timing belt change, but people are telling me that these trucks are built to run for a long time with the proper service, im just looking for some insight on were to start after the oil change and spark plugs!!

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The first thing would be to change every fluid in the truck.
    Trans fluid
    Engine oil
    Transfer case (if it's 4 wheel drive)
    Anti Freeze
    Differential (both if 4 wd)
    And the brake fluid
    Followed by a good suspension lube
    Check/change the air filter
    Run something through the injection system (I prefer Seafoam but theres a lot of different injector cleaners on the market)
    Check for Diagnostic codes
    Check tire pressures
    Change spark plugs and wires
    Change the fuel filter

Changing the timing chain isnt bad it's just time consuming.

3. detailjohn

detailjohn Rockstar 100 Posts

It has a timing chain not belt. Inspect serpentine belt. Spark plugs, air filter,transmission service, are
    cheap insurance + cooling system service/ oil change.

John

4. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 Rockstar 100 Posts

tbplus10 is nuts on. Seafoam is good stuff. If you don't have no valve noise, sluggish power, backfire through intake/ exhaust, leave the timing chain alone. I have a 95 with 300+ miles original motor, 2000 with 272k+ all original and an 05 with 187K all original no issues. Preventive maintenance and service is key factors.

5. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Yep, to all. Pretty much you will make it know now what has been done to the truck unless the previous owner gave you records of what had been done over its life. This way going forward you can track it yourself. Timing chain is NOT necessary at this point unless stated already that you have some issues that point to tearing the motor open....PM is the means to keeping a long running vehicle or NOT. Auto Manufactures did not create a Owners manual becasue they had nothing better to do........Its called instructions and if not read, then its called Destructions........

Jeff