SES light due to radiator flush and refill?

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by joshuaT, Sep 28, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. joshuaT

joshuaT New Member

I did a flush on my system and put in the stuff made for GM vehicles, kind of redish. Now my SES light won't go off. 97 S10 Blazer is my vehicle. Did I use the wrong stuff?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I doubt that a fluid flush caused a SES light. Even if you used the wrong stuff. Is the overflow bottle full to the cold line? Sometimes low coolant will cause a SES. Take it to autozone and see what the code is.
  3. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Coolant flushes will not cause a ses light to come on. Did you "burp" the system after refilling? Low coolant might make the light come on. The best thing is to read the code and see what it is. Perhaps you knocked a wire loose under the hood while working on it. Did you replace or remove the thermostat? If so, did you make sure to reattach all of the ground wires to the housing (if it had any connected to begin with)

The first step is to scan it and see why the light is on.
  4. joshuaT

joshuaT New Member

Well the light is off now, maybe it was reading low coolant. Anyways I'm running at super low temps now even for being in Las Vegas. Normally it was on 210ish and not it's on the notch between 210 and 100. How cool is that?
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well, not cool at all. The engine requires a hot, not warm, engine to efficiently burn fuel and develop power. That is way there is a thermostat. The thermostat should keep the temp at, or near, 190.

Did you change the thermostat when you did the flush? It should always be changed.

If you changed it, did you buy the correct temp?
  6. joshuaT

joshuaT New Member

Nope didn't change it. I've never changed my thermostat.
  7. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Now might be a good time to replace the thermostat...