1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

SES light on (For TPS)

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by BlueEagle, Jan 12, 2013.

1. BlueEagle

BlueEagle New Member

Hey guys, once again I have a question. My SES light has been coming on repetitively for the past month now on my 07 2500. I run the code through my OBD2 tester and its coming back for Throttle Positioning Sensor. What I don't understand is that the light is not always on. and when it isn't the truck runs fine. When the light comes on the truck starts to choke at low speeds (20 t0 35mpg) and if I have the accelerate hard the truck also chokes pretty bad, sometimes almost seeming like its going to stall, and Shifts are very rough to, sometimes feels like the trans has slipped. But like I said the truck runs like this when the light is on. When it is off the truck runs fine.

Is this a common occurrence with these trucks. I read into it a little but seriously I don't know where to begin the try and fix it. Should I buy a new TBS or should I try and clean connectors first? It is driving me nuts and on top of it all I have to go to inspection this month, and if the SES light is on its a automatic FAIL.

Thank you.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Have you cleared it? Or does it go away by it self? I will be in Whitehouse Station tonight if you want me to clear it with my tester/programer.
  3. BlueEagle

BlueEagle New Member

I have cleared with mine once when it first started. I came back a 2 days later. It almost seems to be on a schedule sort of speak the way it comes on and goes off. Thanks for your services unfortantly I will be busy tonight. Thanks again.
  4. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

tehre is a bulletin (not 100% sure if it applies to the 2500 but i ASSUME it does) for replacing the plastic portion of the throttle body and reprograming the ecm to cure this issue. SOUNDS like the typical symptoms like you discribe.
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Check your wires coming directly out of the TPS, I had an LT1 that had 3 broken wires because they were stretched and from the exposure to heat they cracked and caused an intermittent condition like yours. There is also a 5 volt reference wire, which according to TPS % it will send an appropriate voltage to the computer and so on.
  6. BlueEagle

BlueEagle New Member

WOW! Thanks guys, I just looked into the TSB. and like you said a.graham52, Sounds pretty close to whats wrong with my truck. Also in some of the discussions about bulletion, like TRPLX12 stated they talk about the cause of it it being cracked wires. I will have to look into this more. Would this be something I can fix be hand if it turned out to be the wires cracked? Also where does the 5 volt wire lead from?

Thanks you guys very much for pointing me into the right direction. It is much appreciated.
  7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

There are normally 3 wires to the tps, ground, 5 volt reference, and 12v hot. The 5v reference wire would run directly to the PCM/ECM, which if you have access to Alldata or wiring schematics for your vehicle you can locate it on the pinouts. The 5 volt reference also goes to the transmission TCM, It has a big part to do with the shifting of the truck.

i wish I could show you the diagrams, but I don't have anything that new on my computer. My Alldata only goes to 2008. I hope you figure it out!!
  8. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

it is possible carb cleaner was used and this will cause electrical failures.

carb cleaner corrodes wires and damages plastic/rubber parts.
  9. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 New Member

07 is drive by wire so it is all contained in the TB. when the tps is worng the computer doesnt know where the throttle plate is or how to control it causing the rough running. Usually you would have to replace it but try the tsb first.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  10. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

Yeah that tsb replaces all the electronics in the throttle body. I've seen that repair alone (cover and reprogram) fix 90% of the issues. If u have broken wires at the connector u should be able to see them if u give a gental tug on the wires... If any of them stretch then there's a broken wire.