1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Setting the Timing

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by cchas14, Mar 31, 2008.

1. cchas14

cchas14 Member

ok, I set the timing on my 91 k1500. I set it on the 8 marking, when I started the mark on the flywheel was two inches above the 0 mark or basically it was way off. Before I changed it the motor would knock on up hills and when I would really lay into the gas. OF course now that I have the timing closer to where it should be the engine will barely get up the hill, I have to mash the gas in order for it to move. I have new plugs in it. I am hoping that someone might give me an idea on what the problem might be. Also before and still after I set the timing you can smell gas from the talipipe. Is that from the TBI Carb? How can that be changed? All I find is the curb idle set screw.

Please Help

2. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You must disconnect the ecm wire for the timing it's on the firewall passenger site a white connector start the engine set the timing on 0 degrees turn of the engine en reconnect the wire start the engine and you are done :great: