Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

settle the rough country debate once and for all.

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by chase87, Jun 12, 2011.

1. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I installed new lift springs on my trucks so I don't have any axle hop issues. Just speaking from experiance (broken drive shaft, crap) LOL.

2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I won't go against experience. I was looking into ORD's shackle flip and shackle lift. With the history they have in off roading would think they wouldn't sell something that would cause harm to a vehicle. But than again money talks I guess. Thank you for your insight.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Just like everything else you buy, theres a market for inexpensive (cheap) parts. Theres people out there that shop strickly for a cheap price, others just don't have the income to do it right so thats why you see ALOT of cheap products on the market. I can't tell you all the parts we tried that were advertised as the greatest thing since sliced bread and turned out to be junk. As I've said on this site before, a marketing company can make even a turd look good. I can never understand how people can invest so much money in a new truck and then buy cheap parts for it. Yes some people don't know about the cheap junk so thats why I tell people to do there homework/research when buying parts for there trucks.

4. chase87

chase87 Rockstar

i absolutely agree with that. see it all the time at the parts store i work at. "oh i want the cheap one" ok not my fault when it breaks and your out of warantee because you couldnt spend a couple extra dollars for lifetime parts. frustrating.

5. chase87

chase87 Rockstar

what do you guys think of rough countrys 1.25 body lift? looks legit to me.

6. kburb

kburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

The Offroad Design shackle flip "should" give you 4 inches with a stock shackle. I have a kit from DIY 4X and a stock shackle with a procomp 4" spring to gain my lift. Swapping the location/direction of the shackle will help with the axle hop. The stock design gives a good ride and thats about all.

As far as the Rough Country kit or kits, this company has been around long time and is certianly filling a nich in the 4x4 market. The lifts and equipment they sell may be on the low end as far as price but they do allow for the more price concerned owner to have a lifted truck.

Not all lifts are created the same and you get what you pay for. If your truck is more of a mall crawler you will get what you want, but if your gonna hit a trail and hit it hard SPEND the money you wont be disappointed.

7. durf700

durf700 New Member

I have a 2012 silverado 1500 extended cab. I put the 7.5 rough country suspension kit in my truck and like it, but I have a vibration I noticed in the front end when I engage the 4wd. I didnt run the 4wd since it was summer when I installed this kit, but when i started to use the 4wd this winter I noticed it.. the only thing that rough country said is to check the differential drop brackets to make sure they are tight.. any other thoughts? My chevy dealer basically just blamed it on the lift. the truck only has 6,000 miles.

any ideas? or have you heard anything like this?

thanks guys

8. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

[MENTION=59260]durf700[/MENTION] i had a 7.5 RCX lift on my truck for a lilttle over a year, went through 2 ball joints, a wheel bearing, cv axle and a set of tires. the tires had about 10,000 miles on them and were shot. your best bet, is to take that lift off there, scrap it and save up to get either a FTS, TCS, FabTech, ProComp, or other such brand that is higher end pricing. i personally now run a TCS lift with adjusable coilovers and love it, rides just as good as factory. very smooth ride, great all around lift, it was difficult to install as is any lift. it is a full 7in drop for everything. Very well built California lifts.

9. durf700

durf700 New Member

thanks for the advise... yikes.. I figured since I don't go off road this kit would be ok for a road truck.. I still think something is up with that vibration.. I am gonna check out the differential drop brackets to make sure they are good and tight.. other than that I have no idea. I called Rough Country to see if they could reach out to other 2012 silverado owners that are on they picture forums and they didn't know if they could or not. Either way its gonna be interesting resolving this problem.

10. ltate

ltate New Member

I have 2010 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 with the 5 inch lift with the 2.2 performance shocks. I have had the lift for about 50,000+ miles now and have had no problems I put Micky Thompson ATZ 305 55r 20 on it. I ran it through mud, sand, snow, hauled my boat and other stuff you name it. I do get pissed at the crappy stock splash guard that protects the lower part of the engine cant handle water at 50+ mph they need to make a metal replacement. Other than that I haven't had a problem. Even had it airborne a few times and it did fine. Haven't had any problems with 4 wheel drive. I am looking at replacing the font coil overs just to improve the ride. And that is because its the stock suspension. Any suggestions cant afford fox or King. Thinking Bilistin or Ranchro?
    IMG_0572.jpg IMG_0563.jpg