1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

several power options do not not function...

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by buckmeister2, Nov 28, 2012.

1. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Hi, guys. Newbie to this forum. Just bought a 2001 Silverado 1500, 162K. In the past, I have had 8 of these, from '96 forward, but a few years ago, made a wrong turn to brand X. I am back, and happy about my truck. Thing is, it has been neglected, and I have no history of issues, but am finding them as I put on miles. One of the strangest is that the Tow-Haul switch/indicator, power mirrors, electronic 4x4, DRL, and cruise control do not work. In none of my other Silverados did I ever have even one of these issues, and this one has all 4. I have pulled all the appropriate fuses from both boxes, and they are fine.

I thought before I turn it over to some repair shop genius who wants to earn his next vacation pay from me, I better ask for help from you all. Any suggestions? Any of you located in Las Vegas???

Jim buckmeister2 las vegas, nv
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Welcome to the Site Jim.....regarding the Tow Haul Switch/Button,

What's most likely happened.....which is a Common Problem, is the Wire that is inside the Tow Haul Button, that runs down the Shifter and then down the Steering Column, to its Base, has Overtime gotten Pinched and/or Frayed, and has Finally Broke.

Here's a Picture of where the Wire(Orange)is located, at the Base of the Steering Column,

[​IMG]

To fix it.....just located the Break in the Wire, and you can either, Crimp Splice or Solder it back together and you should be good to Go.

3. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The key piece of information you DON'T have here is whether or not all of the problems surfaced at once or if each component failed over time. There could be a lot of reasons for the failure. If they are related, it could be anything from a bad ignition switch to a faulty BCM (Body Control Module).
  4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the tow/haul inop is most always the orange wire from the switch that breaks because it is a little too short. this causes the wire to break.

the mirrors do not work because the key pad is dirty or worn out. its basicly like a TV/DVD remote control key pad. on the 4wd if this does nothing check fuses first. then get the drivetrain codes with a GM drive train capable scanner. post back what you found.

the drl/cruise control maybe the BCM. see if the vehicle had an alarm or other aftermarket electrical installed.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

DRL could be burnt out bulbs (although you have probably checked that). Maybe someone installed a DRL killer to keep the lights out.

Cruise won't work if there are any brake problems, like maybe an ABS sensor not working correctly.
  6. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

two/haul fixed, with additional info.