1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaky at about 35 mph

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 91SUBURBEAST, Feb 14, 2011.

1. 91SUBURBEAST

91SUBURBEAST New Member

At times my truck will drive perfectly fine but at other times when I'm staying at around 35mph it will shake like crazy and won't go away until I slow down or speed up. Anyone know what this could be?
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

does it start shaking again around 70mph. could be tire balance. after that possible driveline issue.
  3. 91SUBURBEAST

91SUBURBEAST New Member

No only around 35...ok I'll check that out. Thank you
  4. 4Birdman

4Birdman New Member

I'd say tire balance too. I've had the same problem with cars before and it always was tire balancing.
  5. drm223

drm223 New Member

I had that problem on my 2000 thought it was the tires but it turned out to be my LF bearing was falling out. It was odd because it only happened sometimes.
  6. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban New Member

My Sub had some severe vibration between 40-55. Changed u-joints. Still vibrated. I knew the tires were balanced, so I finally climbed back underneath and noticed the rear yoke was loose. Got a big socket (either 1-1/16 or 1-1/8"), some loctite and tightened it back down. Took care of my issue...
  7. 91SUBURBEAST

91SUBURBEAST New Member

Rear yoke out of the transfercase?
  8. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban New Member

No, on the rear end. Out of the transfer case is a slip yoke.
  9. dualdj1

dualdj1 New Member

Other thing that sometimes happens is the lockup torque converter doesn't disengage. This won't happen if you are speeding up to 35, it pretty much only happens if you're slowing down from cruising speed (55 or so) to the 30's range. you can tell though, it's more of an engine chug shake than just a chassis vibration.
  10. inspectormatt

inspectormatt New Member

I've had tires cause this problem before. The belts break in the tire causing a severe wobble, also called "death wobble". Only does it at a certain speed, I don't know why. To check if this is the problem, rotate the rear tires to the front and the front tires to the rear. If it goes away, then you know its the tires.