Share you lost keys Story!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Pikey, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Today my 18 month old grabbed my keys. He likes to hit the panic button and hear the truck honk in the garage. I quickly took them away and put them out of his reach. Well, after 4 1/2 hours of searching I still can not locate them. Luckily I had a copy made as the truck only came with one key when I bought it. I am having remote start installed on Tuesday so I am not concerned about the key fob.(plus, I have eight of them laying around anyway). There are not any important keys on the ring other than house keys and we have copies of those. I know they are somewhere in the house. Guess I will be having another copy made in the morning. I will share where I find them (if I ever do). I will ask him in the morning, he probably climbed up where I put them and stuck them somewhere else. I figured that you guys probably have some pretty funny stories about misplacing your keys. Whether it be at home like me or out in the middle of no where. Please share your story. One time I lost the key to my sonoma. I could not find it for months. Spring rolled around and I took the dog for a walk. I found the key laying on the ground where I had piled the snow from the driveway all winter. It was there for more than 3 months and did not have any rust on it.
  2. I haven't totally lost mine, but do have a story from a few months back.

Arrived at a friends house with the wife. Getting out of the truck with the door locks engaged I dropped my keys as I was getting out and locked them in. No worries I thought. I turn to my wife and ask if she has my spare. She replies, "Yes, It's with my keys in your truck" :neutral:

I ended up cutting a 2x4 into a wedge shape and gently prying the top corner of the driver's door open enough to jam a clothes hanger through. We were able to push the slide lock forward with the hanger unlocking the door. I have never been so happy to hear my alarm going off as I was that night.

Also as a side note, I was in a fairly small town at the time. There were about 6 of us crowded around the vehicle trying to break in. I have always been told that you can call the police and they will help you get into your car. A police officer drives by, you think he would stop or even slow down from the sight of us breaking in (we are all in our 20's and look more like teenagers)? Nope, not this time.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Haha, I lock mine in the truck all the time; I'll have my arms full of small things (tools and hardware) and I'll toss the load into the back seat along with the keys. I keep a spare in my pocket, to open the door, of course, this trips the alarm and I need the FOB to stop it.

Pikey, your thread couldn't have been started at a better time; I have a small safe with a electric combination lock. The safe also has a mechanical lock to lock out the electric combo lock; this lock is push to lock and needs a key to unlock. Yesterday, I accidentialy pushed the mechanical lock and of course, I can not find the key. Like Pikey said, it's in the house somewhere, but.............where.

But I have a very funny car keys story to pass along, it happen to a buddy of mine. Happen on a warm winter afternoon, ice in his driveway had warmed and gotten slippery. He got out of his truck (S10) with keys in his hand, locking the doors and stepped onto the slippery ice. As he stepped onto the ice, he pushed the door, to close it, and lost his balance on the ice. His right hand holding onto the side of the truck, somehow the fingers were in the door opening as the locked door slammed shut. The pain of the hand being in the door jam caused him to drop the keys which were in the left hand. Right hand is jammed too far up the frame to reach the keys.
    As he is trying to move the keys with his foot to get them closer, he slips on the ice. The hand came out of the door when he fell far enough, fingers were flat for a month. I laugh every time I think of it, haha
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Lol, that would have been great to get on video! Well, it is official. I have emptied and cleaned every drawer and cupboard in the kitchen. Toy boxes emptied and checked. Checked dishwasher, garbage, garbage disposal, Still no keys. At this point I have no idea where they may be. I guess that I will just have to wait and see if they show up.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

My wife lost her car keys in July of 2011, somewhere in the house. I gave her the spare set to use until she found hers, their somewhere in the house so this shouldnt take long to happen.
    Last week as she was shaking out her winter coat she found the keys in the pocket. I'm still trying to figure out how it got there in July of last year, this is Texas we dont use jackets in July, and how she missed them all last winter.
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

I was camping once up near Chelan, Washington ... needless to say that I was distracted and may have had a bit too much "soda pop" one day. I had one of those key-rings that you press a button and the keys separate ... needless to say I will never have one of those again. Lost the keys and had to have a friend hotwire my truck to get it home.

- - - Updated - - -

... on a side note I can't find my wedding ring right now either. I had been putting it in one or two places ... but I think I took it off when I was doing some decorations a week and a half ago. We had the washing machine go out on us, so we had moved some laundry to my mother-in-law's place, and some got backed up that we've got around to doing yet. I guess it could be in a pair of my pants or jeans ... but it's also possible that my youngest kiddo has been digging in the drawers as well. I'm sure it will show up somewhere, just wish it was sooner rather than later.

- - - Updated - - -

I had this idea (as did probably a million other people).

What two things do you lose the most often in your life? Most people will probably say #1 & #2 are their Keys and their Remote Control (for the TV).

So, why not get a pair of click-to-beep locator device that had a transmitter and a receiver on it? Then you get one to attach to your keys and a second to attach to your remote! Then if you lose your keys, just grab your remote and hit the button to find your keys. If you lose your remote, just grab your keys and click a button to find your keys.

Looks like someone beat me to it: www.keyringer.com

use-to-find.gif
  7. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 New Member

I have a lost key story from back in May before i left for Afghanistan. It was an early morning for alot of us guys. We had just got off work at 0600 and had to go to the firing range right after shift change. So we get off work, turn in our ammo and keep the guns to load up into bus to transport us out to the range, which is on another base about a 45 min drive. We get everything loaded up and start the trip. I had put my keys in my pocket like a have several hundred times. I never took them out of that pocket all day (8 hours of firing). We get back to our armory to clean and turn in weapons. Upon me finishing my cleaning I go to reach into my pockey and to my surprise no keys. I spent another 2 hours looking around the armory, bus, and outside to see if they were anyplace around there and no luck. A friend of mine gave me a ride to get my spare set from my house so i didnt have to leave my truck and depend on someone else to give me a ride to the next night. Well 7 months later after my deployment and moving all my stuff around, I finally get my keys back. One of our guys found the keys out at the range after they just recently fired. Im still curious how after serveral hundred people have been out there to fire while i was deployed, does he find them in front of a target that has been shoot at and looked at that whole time. It makes me confused as all can be. Oh well tho, i have them back now. Figured i would share that.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

That is pretty funny. That is like my snow bank story. They had a bright orange key tag and hundreds of people walked their dog past that spot after the snow melted. I FOUND THEM!!!! One of the boys must have put them in the backpack that I occasionally take to the gym. I don't know how they ended up there. But, I don't care at this point.

I have another lost key story. It did not happen to me. A few years back we went white water rafting in West Virginia. The guide told us that we were lucky that we had not been there the weekend before. Apparently, while everyone was out on the river a major storm came through. There was a flash flood and somewhere around 30 cars were completely submerged. That would stink. But, to make things worse about 80 peoples tents were washed away during the flash flood. So if you did not loose your car you lost your keys, wallet, money, everything. The guide said that being Saturday and Sunday no dealers were open. Monday morning 4 different dealerships were called and delivered keys to the people who did not have submerged cars. Of course it was not cheap and most people did not have their money or wallets.
  9. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia New Member

I have never "lost" them, but I did lock them in the truck twice. I had to have a friend bring me the spare key from the house to get in the truck.