1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shift Indicator Light is Out

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by oxyvbverkle, Jul 20, 2010.

1. oxyvbverkle

oxyvbverkle New Member

Hello, I have a 2000 GMC Sierra. It has an electronic shift indicator light that goes in and out. I think it finally went out for good. I know how to remove the instrument panel, and change the other lights, but I do not know anything about the shift indicator. Will anyone assist me with this matter?

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Could it be the neutral safety switch? If so, where is the switch located on this model truck?
  2. 04-silverado

04-silverado New Member

A friend has a 1999 Silverado... his odometer/PRNDL/message center would intermittently go out, then on, then eventually went out completely. Those are LEDs, not incandescent bulbs... and the problem was "cold solder joints" ... on the board which feeds power to those LEDs.

Check out this website: http://mrfixit.webnode.com/
    ...and the step-by-step instructions: http://mrfixit.webnode.com/step-by-step-instruction/

We performed the entire repair, in about 30 minutes. The problem on my friend's truck appeared to be that there is not much circuit foil/run on the board, and the leads to be soldered therein are huge (by comparison in scale)... be careful not to use too much heat (as that may leave you with nothing on the circuit board, to which the wires need to be soldered).

BTW: this seems to be a very common problem on Sierra and Silverado (and on cars as well, although the problem on GM cars is that resistors get burned-out, the LEDs quit displaying, and the resistors need to be replaced).

hth - karl
  3. oxyvbverkle

oxyvbverkle New Member

Awesome. The link is very helpful. I'll give it a try and hope it works. Thanks.