Shifter Problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by Megan93, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Megan93

Megan93 New Member GMTC Chick

New here, hopefully you guys can help! I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer 4wd automatic, ZR2. I am including a video. About 99% of the time, it won't shift out of park, unless I push out on this little white piece (as shown in video). If I push out that piece while stepping on the brake, I can shift out no problems and drive on like normal. It doesn't happen shifting from reverse to drive, or drive to neutral. Only once I put it into park. So, couple questions.

1. What is the problem/part?
    2. Is it easy to do yourself?
    3. If the above answer is "yes", anyone have any how-to videos?

Thanks!

2. squatchy

squatchy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Theres an easy answer and a not so easy one. That white piece is a solenoid that is part of the system. There should be a wire harness right next to it, check that harness for a broken wire. If there isnt a broken wire, it will be more difficult. There is a switch on the brake pedal. one on the trans, and a fuse that are all in communication to let you shift out of park. something could be bad with any of them.

3. 130195

130195 Active Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Sounds like some kind of faulty safety switch. Like squatchy said, it could be a broken wire. Maybe when you touch the white 'piece' you just happen to form a connection, letting you switch out of park

4. squatchy

squatchy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Rocking that solenoid is probably a built in override. Its actually pretty common for console shifters, I had a grand prix that had the same problem. Too many moving parts in there and that wire harness is just kinda in there, its not really held in place