1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shifter won't shift out of park. Help

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Patdon10, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Patdon10

Patdon10 New Member

Hey guys, I'm not much of a truck guy but I'm helping my neighbor out with his shifter.

He has a '97 Silverado z71. Anyways, the truck runs well and starts with no problems, but if you start the car in Park, it will not shift out of park no matter what you do. The only way to fix it is if you put the key in, move it slightly forward. Once you do this, it releases the shifter and you can shift it into neutral. Once you do that, you can start the car and shift freely. It's just Park that it get's stuck.

Anyone know what it could be?
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

There is a switch on the brake pedal which releases the shifter. Sounds like this switch is acting up.
  3. BASSIST

BASSIST Rockstar 100 Posts

Yep. The switch is under the steering column cover. There is a silver plunger (if you will) that when in the up position releases the shifter. He either needs to replace the switch or if he's cheap ( like me) take a zip stip and shove it up into that plunger causing it to stick in the up position.
  4. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Check the fuse to the brake lights. I had a mini van that wouldn't shift out of park if that fuse was blown.
  5. Patdon10

Patdon10 New Member

Cool. Does anyone know what the name of the switch is?
  6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Most likely the park safety switch.. at least something along those lines..
  7. BASSIST

BASSIST Rockstar 100 Posts

8. Patdon10

Patdon10 New Member

hmmm. Really? Is there a way to test it's the switch first before I tell the guy it's $160.xx? That's pretty pricey, does the switch control those functions?
  9. jamesedmisson

jamesedmisson New Member

- good info, thanks.