shifting problems - maybe the first sign of a necessary rebuild?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Kraziken, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

On a long road trip today, the Burb seemed to be hard shifting at low speed. Kind of a clunk sudden jerk feeling versus a smooth shift. At higher speeds I didn't notice it.

I noticed this behaviour once before. The problem seems to come after driving a bit. Slow acceleration seems to be fine, it's the middle acceleration speed that seems to trip it up, and only occasionally.

I'm thinking of having the transmission fluid flushed. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. hutch_pt

hutch_pt Rockstar 100 Posts

YEah, I would start with the filter and fluid, if you havent done them in a while...

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

low transmission fluid would possibly cause this issue. The second thing I would think that could do this is low pressures as a result of either the valve body or the front pump. No matter what, it doesn't bode well, although the valve body is theoretically easier to do since you can get to it without removing the whole transmission.

4. Kraziken

The problem doesn't occur very often. Drove the burb today and didn't have a hiccup.

I'll run the truck thru a transmission flush and keep my fingers crossed.

5. Kraziken

Looks like you were right. I had the valve body replaced, fluid flushed and new filter. The repair wasn't too bad in cost in my opinion. I'm just glad it didn't need a complete rebuild.

6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Did you do the valve body replacement yourself? How was it determined that the valve body was bad? For me, it wasn't too bad, and I just used a shift-kit to do the rebuild on the valve body. Pretty much the only things that can really go wrong is the springs weaken or break, and a good shift kit replaces all the springs anyways... Glad you figured out the issue.

7. Kraziken

I took it to a transmission shop. Based on the mileage on my burb, only 90k, the guy at the shop felt that was probably the issue. He inspected it and told me that was the case. The hard shifting problem is gone.