1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

shifting with key in accessory position

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dewe48, Apr 27, 2011.

1. dewe48

dewe48 New Member

Has anyone else found that when the key is in the accessory position you don't need to push the break to put it in gear? My 4 year old found this out for me.:grrrrrr:
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What year and model of truck? I know my old 91 Suburban does not have a brake interlock and simply unlocking the steering wheel frees the shifter, but my 05 Saturn ION does.
  3. dewe48

dewe48 New Member

It's a 2004 suburban. My buddy has an 05 that does the same thing.
  4. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

Yup, my 2004 Silverado does the same thing
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Yes, my '05 lets you shift when key is in accessory position.

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

Also welcome to the club.
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Weird. I thought that typically all the newer vehicles had the brake interlock on the shifter so that not matter what position the key is in it wouldn't come out of park without holding the brake down. Learn something new every day...