Shock Absorbers?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 1500ExtChevy, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

My Bilsteins Have lasted 202,000 miles and likely your truck also has factory Bilsteins. They are built to last, ride smooth, and are proven to be the best shocks for these trucks.

UPDATED

Realized I should mention that After 202,000 miles the truck still rides smooth on the road and on rough terrain you can barely notice the bumps. Only problem I have with the shocks is after 202,000 miles the truck is boatish because the shocks are soft and my rear has sagged a bit, yet the shocks wern't built to last that long so not the fault of Bilstein. I plan to install new Bilsteins in May because my factory ones make me trust the new ones will last just s long and ride just as well.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Most any aftermarket shocks will be an improvement over stock. I like Fox and ReadyLIFT... a little pricey but awesome shocks.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Just put bilsteins on my 2005 yukon xl. They are awesome!! Best shock i have ever had on a vehicle.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Ranchos all the way.

5. Scott_03silverado

Scott_03silverado New Member

i have a 03 silverado z71 and just put on bilstein 5100s on all four corners and LOVE THEM!

6. Jeff Dodson

Jeff Dodson Member

I just bought the MONROE REFLEX. Seem fine to me, on a 4x4 the suspension is stiff anyway... These are fine unless you rock crawling or building a PRERUNNER... THAT IS ON STOCK SUSPENSIONS anyway

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had a set of monroe reflex on my 2005 yukon xl 4x4 with stock suspension for less than a year. I took them off to put the bilsteins on and they were shot. Very slow return and "skipping" as you pushed them in. You could hear oil passing the piston. The parts store warrantied them for me and I am going to sell them on cl. I had originally put the reflex mono tubes on. They stayed on for a day. They rode like complete crap! Then I went with the regular reflex. I thought that they were great, until I rode on my bilsteins. The monroe were ok for a month of so, then the body roll on my truck became pretty severe. I will never install a monroe product on my vehicle again. The manager at the parts store said that they see them exchanged under warranty more than any other shock they sell.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

if the rear is sagged best replace the rear springs before replacing the shocks. with the vehicle not properly leveled out the U joints get damaged ..

9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I will be fixing the sagging problem at the same time I'm doing the shocks. Luckily the rear has only sagged to the point that the truck sits level, which is about 2 inches. I will be using Roadmaster Active Suspension to help the springs remain arched in the factory shape instead of almost flat like they are now. I have kept a constant eye on the u-joints and they have remained in great shape for being factory components.

10. cmcolfax

cmcolfax Member

Rancho's are notoriously stiff.

Bilstien's are notoriously expensive.

I always liked ProComps or TrailMasters on my Jeeps.

Been running Monroe Gas Magnums in my F150 for some time and like them.

Stiff enough, yet responsive and not bouncy.

Prolly what I'll be putting in the Burb.

-cmc-