Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Shocks and such

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by nlocho11, Sep 26, 2013.

1. nlocho11

nlocho11 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey everyone-
    I'm driving a 04 silverado 1500 extra cab, 170xxx and almost completely bone stock. I have a 7'' meyer plow on the front that's been there since my dad bought it new, and it's time to replace the front shocks, which is probably long over due. I was also considering installing Timbrens in the front end, as I've heard from many guys that plow it helps a lot. Currently last year when I was plowing I was getting a little scrape even when the plow was fully up on small bumps and I was told these help add a little ride height and stability. My question is, what type of replacement shocks is everyone fond of, and if anyone else has anything I should be looking out for or tuning up as well.

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Bilstiens are great shocks.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

X2 on Bilstien. They are said to be the best shock that you can get for these trucks.

4. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm rocking Bilsteins.

5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

BILSTIENS ARE expensive but they sure do last. I replaced my OEM shocks 9 years ago with the HD bilstiens. I got a lifetime warranty as well. so far they are still perfect. checked them last year when I had to work the frame on my 2000 silverado 4X4... 140.000miles..

6. Pikey

I would not say that they are that expensive compared to other companies top of the line shocks. I think monroes mono tubes are $68 each while bilsteins are $72

7. j cat

9 years ago they cost 100 USD. made in germany . today I can believe the lower price. could be china now.

8. Pikey

I was told by shockwarehouse that some were being made in Germany again some in china. That would explain why they had to send me 6 replacement shocks for a friends Durango. 4 of them were leaking from the rod seal when I unboxed them. It is the second time I have heard of a bad run of bilsteins. the other was in 2010-2011 for the GM trucks.

9. j cat

nothing is safe anymore with the china crap.

10. paracutin

paracutin Rockstar 100 Posts

Might want to consider new torsion bars too? That many years with a plow will definitely take the spring out of your torsion bars.

1 person likes this.