Shocks and such

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by nlocho11, Sep 26, 2013.

1. nlocho11

nlocho11 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey everyone-
    I'm driving a 04 silverado 1500 extra cab, 170xxx and almost completely bone stock. I have a 7'' meyer plow on the front that's been there since my dad bought it new, and it's time to replace the front shocks, which is probably long over due. I was also considering installing Timbrens in the front end, as I've heard from many guys that plow it helps a lot. Currently last year when I was plowing I was getting a little scrape even when the plow was fully up on small bumps and I was told these help add a little ride height and stability. My question is, what type of replacement shocks is everyone fond of, and if anyone else has anything I should be looking out for or tuning up as well.

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Bilstiens are great shocks.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

X2 on Bilstien. They are said to be the best shock that you can get for these trucks.

4. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm rocking Bilsteins.

5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

BILSTIENS ARE expensive but they sure do last. I replaced my OEM shocks 9 years ago with the HD bilstiens. I got a lifetime warranty as well. so far they are still perfect. checked them last year when I had to work the frame on my 2000 silverado 4X4... 140.000miles..

6. Pikey

I would not say that they are that expensive compared to other companies top of the line shocks. I think monroes mono tubes are $68 each while bilsteins are $72

7. j cat

9 years ago they cost 100 USD. made in germany . today I can believe the lower price. could be china now.

8. Pikey

I was told by shockwarehouse that some were being made in Germany again some in china. That would explain why they had to send me 6 replacement shocks for a friends Durango. 4 of them were leaking from the rod seal when I unboxed them. It is the second time I have heard of a bad run of bilsteins. the other was in 2010-2011 for the GM trucks.

9. j cat

nothing is safe anymore with the china crap.

10. paracutin

paracutin Rockstar 100 Posts

Might want to consider new torsion bars too? That many years with a plow will definitely take the spring out of your torsion bars.

1 person likes this.