Shocks on a Budget?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by MWright936, Apr 21, 2008.

1. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've decided that I need new shocks. I finally got out there and checked things out and there's a little too much bounce when I push it around. Now, my problem is...which shocks to get?? I've seen lots of posts about Bilstein and Rancho, but I'm on a budget right now. I can't afford anything too fancy. A co-worker told me that the plain Monroe gas shocks from O'reillys are actually really good and only $10-15 a piece. Has anybody had any experience with some "cheaper" shocks? I don't really do any off-roading...mostly highway driving. I have an O'reillys and AutoZone here in town. Thanks in advance!!

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If I remember correctly, I have Monroe's on my 91 Suburban, and they are pretty darn smooth. Granted, I've never felt any other shocks on the truck because I haven't had to change them yet, but I like 'em

3. MWright936

Well, the previous cost estimate may have been a little off. I did a little pricing and found the cheapest options for me. The Monroe-Matic Plus (O'reillys) would cost about $130 (for all 4) and the Gabriel Pro Guard would cost about $96 (AutoZone). Those prices are tax-included estimates. I've heard some good things about Monroe, but have never heard of Gabriel. Are they any good? I want to save money, but not at the cost of quality. If they aren't as good as the Monroe, I'll throw down the extra $35.

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well, I heard on the radio this morning that O'Reilly is doing a sale on Monroe shocks right now, 4 for the price of 3.... Hope this helps

5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I put bottom of the line Monroe's on my Explorer and didn't like them. They were too soft, in my opinion, for a truck application. I'm sure some people out there like the softer, more car like feel, and they would be happy with them. I expect the Monroe matics would be better, but I haven't tried them.

I have run the Gabriel Pro-guard's on both of mine and been satisfied. Considering price and such, I haven't felt any need to put more expensive shocks on mine.

6. MWright936

Thanks so much for all the tips and advice guys! I ended up going for value and bought some Gabriel Pro-Guards. I will put them on this weekend and let y'all know what I think of em. I would post pics, but it's just not that interesting. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up about the O'reillys sale Crawdaddy...I checked it out and it's only valid on the more expensive shocks...of course.

7. MWright936

UPDATE

I put the new shocks in last weekend and I'm very happy with them! It was definitely time for some new shocks. The ride and handling is MUCH better. I would definitely recommend the Gabriel Pro-Guards! I doubt they would do much good for off-road applications, but for just under $100 (for all 4), you can't beat em! It just took me a couple of hours to do myself.