1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shocks on a Budget?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by MWright936, Apr 21, 2008.

1. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've decided that I need new shocks. I finally got out there and checked things out and there's a little too much bounce when I push it around. Now, my problem is...which shocks to get?? I've seen lots of posts about Bilstein and Rancho, but I'm on a budget right now. I can't afford anything too fancy. A co-worker told me that the plain Monroe gas shocks from O'reillys are actually really good and only $10-15 a piece. Has anybody had any experience with some "cheaper" shocks? I don't really do any off-roading...mostly highway driving. I have an O'reillys and AutoZone here in town. Thanks in advance!!
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If I remember correctly, I have Monroe's on my 91 Suburban, and they are pretty darn smooth. Granted, I've never felt any other shocks on the truck because I haven't had to change them yet, but I like 'em
  3. MWright936

Well, the previous cost estimate may have been a little off. I did a little pricing and found the cheapest options for me. The Monroe-Matic Plus (O'reillys) would cost about $130 (for all 4) and the Gabriel Pro Guard would cost about $96 (AutoZone). Those prices are tax-included estimates. I've heard some good things about Monroe, but have never heard of Gabriel. Are they any good? I want to save money, but not at the cost of quality. If they aren't as good as the Monroe, I'll throw down the extra $35.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well, I heard on the radio this morning that O'Reilly is doing a sale on Monroe shocks right now, 4 for the price of 3.... Hope this helps
  5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I put bottom of the line Monroe's on my Explorer and didn't like them. They were too soft, in my opinion, for a truck application. I'm sure some people out there like the softer, more car like feel, and they would be happy with them. I expect the Monroe matics would be better, but I haven't tried them.

I have run the Gabriel Pro-guard's on both of mine and been satisfied. Considering price and such, I haven't felt any need to put more expensive shocks on mine.
  6. MWright936

Thanks so much for all the tips and advice guys! I ended up going for value and bought some Gabriel Pro-Guards. I will put them on this weekend and let y'all know what I think of em. I would post pics, but it's just not that interesting. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up about the O'reillys sale Crawdaddy...I checked it out and it's only valid on the more expensive shocks...of course.
  7. MWright936

UPDATE

I put the new shocks in last weekend and I'm very happy with them! It was definitely time for some new shocks. The ride and handling is MUCH better. I would definitely recommend the Gabriel Pro-Guards! I doubt they would do much good for off-road applications, but for just under $100 (for all 4), you can't beat em! It just took me a couple of hours to do myself.