Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Shocks or Torsion Bar Adjustment

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by palmer_df0130, Sep 9, 2010.

1. palmer_df0130

palmer_df0130 Rockstar

I have a 99 Z71 Extended Cab and my front bumper stops are sitting on the lower control arms and was wanting to know if new shocks would correct this problem or can I raise the torsion bars? If I do raise the torsion bars, do I need to get an alignment afterwards? Thanks.

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. It sounds like the torson bars are already adjusted to the max, thats why there hitting the lower control arms. If you have stock length shocks than there bottoming out. You should crank the bars down some. Look at the torson bar adjuster bolts and most likely there are screwed all the way in. Do you have over size tires?

3. palmer_df0130

palmer_df0130 Rockstar

I have 265/75/16's on there. Not sure what the stock size is because the sticker is missing from the door jam. As far the torsion bolts, they had still had some threads showing, so they are not screwed all the way into the cross member. Would worn out shocks make it sag that low to have the bumper stops touch?

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

No, worn shocks won't make the truck sag that much. You say the t/bar adjustment bolts have a few threads showing. Whats a few threads?

5. palmer_df0130

palmer_df0130 Rockstar

Sorry it took so long to reply. There is about 3/4" from the crossmember to the bolthead. I lokked at my neighbors '05 Z71 and his bump stops were on the lower control arm. He said he still had the original shocks and has not touched the suspension since he bought it.

6. nfs13b

nfs13b Member

Im asking this same question with my 2003 2500HD, my front lower control arms are on the bump stops too... but I think I still have a fair bit of thread on my torsion bolts so I am going to try to wind them up a bit this afternoon and see if that lifts them off the bump stops a bit...

7. nfs13b

nfs13b Member

Hey All,

I have wound the torsion bar bolts in which has lifted the bump stops slightly off the lower control arms, however as soon as you sit in the car the bump stops go back on the lower control arm...

I have attached some pictures of the 2 bump stops and the torsion bar bolts..

Can anyone advise what I need to do...
    left_bump.jpg torsion2.jpg torsion1.jpg right_bump.JPG

8. nfs13b

nfs13b Member

anyone able to help?

9. HEAVY FUEL

HEAVY FUEL New Member

I'm going through this as well. 03 Suburban. Set my "Z" height to 4.7, one bump stop is resting on control arm the other has an inch gap. Drives bad, dealership said I set it right. Seems to me it should be one way or the other, i'm guessing slightly on the control arm. Torsion bars are turned up with about 2 threads showing.