GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Shocks

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by trimhalifax, May 10, 2009.

1. trimhalifax

trimhalifax New Member

Ihave an 01 Silverado 4x4 Ext.I haul a cargo trailer for work.Can someone suggest the best shocks to use for this purpose?Thanx
  2. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

check out this thread you might the sensatra coil overs they are made for towing.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18194&highlight=sensatrac

http://www.monroe.com/products/sensatrac_loadadjustshocks.asp

The Monroe® Sensa-Trac® load adjusting shock absorber with PSD (position sensitive damping) and the Safe Tech™ system combines our exclusive precision tapered grooves in the pressure tube with application engineered valving and Fluon banded piston to improve the ride, handling, and safety characteristics of the vehicle.

These units also include a heavy gauge calibrated spring for extra control and comfort. A new pair of Monroe Sensa-Trac load adjusting shock absorbers can assist in maintaining ride height when up to 1,200 lbs*. of additional weight is loaded. These units are ideal for light trucks that carry varying loads or tow trailers.
  3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member

i agree, the monroe coil over shocks are a great investment for towing
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member

Dr. Zero, I am having trouble getting prices in my area for those specific shocks front and rear, what did yours run you?
  5. trimhalifax

trimhalifax New Member

Thanks.Iwas looking at either bilstein or monroe.After looking at the coilovers I think I will go with those. Much appreciated
  6. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member

they are about $100 bucks for the rears, i dont believe they are made for the front i would go with the monroe sensetrac on the front
  7. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

$100 for the rear and the front I went with some cheaper monroes but the sensatrac for the front would be the regular ones and they are $40.99 each at advance auto and 31.79 each at Rockauto.com

Rockauto has the coilovers if you cant find them local for 95.79
  8. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

Yeah what he said LOL:lol:
  9. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

Bilstein makes a good shock we have them on the Yukon and like them also but the variable rate coil over was a big + for me and my suburban cause the weight I carry normally and when I load it up.

We loaded up for a trip and then 3 guys sat on the rear and it went down maybe inch or less, and it doesn't ride rough another thing I was wanting in a shock.
  10. vncj96

vncj96 New Member

I do like Bilstien a little pricey though, but I do want the extra spring in the back for support, thanks for the info Dr. Zero.
  11. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

No problem Happy to Help!
  12. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member

i like the monroe coilovers
  13. kmears

kmears New Member

Well Unfortunatly, GM Has to suck and Charge a Astronomical prices for the suspension package which is required for such a setup the only problem is GM wants to charge you a $600 charge for each shock used because the setup you are requiring needs a heavy duty package and basicaly if you go aftermarket and use a coil over your going to be at a high risk for your towing package.

The other option you got is to go with a Heavy duty airbag package that allows you to adjust your towing ride high in the rear. I highly recommend you go with the air bag system as it will maintain a good ride with the towing package and be adjustable.

*Note that the coil over system is for performance with out towing guys* There is a reason for the coil over system as it is ment for cornering control. Trucks should only use the coil over system if they are a 2 wheel drive 2 door. *Take it how you feel most confortable but do read the warnings* :glasses:
  14. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

I beg to differ when it comes to the model we are talking about they are not the one you are referring to these are made for towing. There are many different coil over shocks made to specific purposes these are not racing style shocks by a long shot :great:

The Monroe® Sensa-Trac® load adjusting shock absorber with PSD (position sensitive damping) and the Safe Tech™ system combines our exclusive precision tapered grooves in the pressure tube with application engineered valving and Fluon banded piston to improve the ride, handling, and safety characteristics of the vehicle.

These units also include a heavy gauge calibrated spring for extra control and comfort. A new pair of Monroe Sensa-Trac load adjusting shock absorbers can assist in maintaining ride height when up to 1,200 lbs*. of additional weight is loaded. These units are ideal for light trucks that carry varying loads or tow trailers.
  15. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member

our lead tech at work has put the monroe coil overs in every truck he has owned 4x4 and 4x2, with out any bad outcomes. think of them as AAL they are made for additional load capacity,

the air bag system is a great way to go if you are hauling very heavy things but are expensive compared to coil overs
  16. ricodog77

ricodog77 New Member

If your current shocks are still serviceable, then for about the same price you could install an adjustable ride control kit like the Airlift model 59501. Amazon sells 'em for $179 w/ out tax or shipping. The installs don't take very long and are fairly straight forward.

If your driving your truck back and forth and aren't trailering 100% of the time that gives you the ability to "pump" up your air springs only when you have the trailer hitched up. For more money you can go all out and install the compressor system.

If you need more support for a heavy trailer, there's also the LoadLifter 5000 by Airlift model 57250, but it's going to cost you more.

I have coil springs instead of leafs on the Tahoe which made the install cheaper and quicker. I didn't put a compressor in and I just fill up the bags with a tire compressor whenever I hitch up the Travel Trailer.

Won't hurt to go with shocks though. Hope that helps.
  17. trimhalifax

trimhalifax New Member

Unfortunately they are original and are shot so I have to replace them.