1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shocks

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by trimhalifax, May 10, 2009.

1. trimhalifax

trimhalifax Rockstar 100 Posts

Ihave an 01 Silverado 4x4 Ext.I haul a cargo trailer for work.Can someone suggest the best shocks to use for this purpose?Thanx
  2. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

check out this thread you might the sensatra coil overs they are made for towing.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18194&highlight=sensatrac

http://www.monroe.com/products/sensatrac_loadadjustshocks.asp

The Monroe® Sensa-Trac® load adjusting shock absorber with PSD (position sensitive damping) and the Safe Tech™ system combines our exclusive precision tapered grooves in the pressure tube with application engineered valving and Fluon banded piston to improve the ride, handling, and safety characteristics of the vehicle.

These units also include a heavy gauge calibrated spring for extra control and comfort. A new pair of Monroe Sensa-Trac load adjusting shock absorbers can assist in maintaining ride height when up to 1,200 lbs*. of additional weight is loaded. These units are ideal for light trucks that carry varying loads or tow trailers.
  3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i agree, the monroe coil over shocks are a great investment for towing
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Dr. Zero, I am having trouble getting prices in my area for those specific shocks front and rear, what did yours run you?
  5. trimhalifax

trimhalifax Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks.Iwas looking at either bilstein or monroe.After looking at the coilovers I think I will go with those. Much appreciated
  6. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

they are about $100 bucks for the rears, i dont believe they are made for the front i would go with the monroe sensetrac on the front
  7. Dr_Zero

$100 for the rear and the front I went with some cheaper monroes but the sensatrac for the front would be the regular ones and they are $40.99 each at advance auto and 31.79 each at Rockauto.com

Rockauto has the coilovers if you cant find them local for 95.79
  8. Dr_Zero

Yeah what he said LOL:lol:
  9. Dr_Zero

Bilstein makes a good shock we have them on the Yukon and like them also but the variable rate coil over was a big + for me and my suburban cause the weight I carry normally and when I load it up.

We loaded up for a trip and then 3 guys sat on the rear and it went down maybe inch or less, and it doesn't ride rough another thing I was wanting in a shock.
  10. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I do like Bilstien a little pricey though, but I do want the extra spring in the back for support, thanks for the info Dr. Zero.