1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shocks?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Chevyman224, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Chevyman224

Chevyman224 Rockstar 100 Posts

The ride on my 05 2500hd is horrible now that i put my rims and tires on with the leveling kit. And given that its done some pretty heavy towing in its days and just hit 90,000 miles i think its time for some new shocks. For the first question how hard would it be to replace them myself. Question number two is what would yall recommend?
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Shocks are some of the easiest things to replace. Typically just a bolt on the bottom and a nut on the top. rears may do two bolts. rears can be done without lifting anything just slide under and remove the bolts. the fronts may be easier with a jack under the lower arm and tire off (just to get the tire out of the way. just remember to line things up before cutting the strap on the new shocks as they can be difficult to recompress by hand sometimes but not that difficult. Alot of people like bilsteins and they arent that expensive.
  3. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I have BDS shocks because that is what came with my BDS lift, but the concesous around here seems to be either Bilstein or Rancho.
  4. tigersdl65

tigersdl65 Rockstar 100 Posts

I would go with bilsteins, and that is proably what came on it anyways.
  5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Here are some pics. the lower rear bolt, then upper rear bolt and upper front. The lower front is also just a bolt like the rears. I don't think anything was changed between 04 and 05.

Attached Files:

6. Chevyman224

Chevyman224 Rockstar 100 Posts

thanks for being so detailed with the pictures that helped out a lot. I think i will go ahead an order the bilsteins.
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

shocks

Bilsteins or Edelbrocks Extreme.
  8. Toolman

Toolman Member

You won't be sorry :great:
  9. bracester

bracester New Member

wheres a good place online to order shocks?
  10. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers has some good sales. Check them out.

Click Here