1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shooting Guns

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by MD4x4 Fireman, Jan 23, 2008.

1. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Anyone on here like shooting? I went to the range for the first time today and I loved it. What kinda guns does everyone like? Do you hunt? What kinda guns do you own? I am trying to learn a thing or 2.
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I’ve had guns of just about every kind since I was 15 when my Dad gave me my first 22 rifle.

Over the years I have had many rifles and pistols.
    Just some that I can remember.

22 cal Marlin tube feed, still have that one.
    30/30 model 1894,
    12 gauge pump 8 shot,
    12 gauge double barrel,
    12 gauge semi auto, still have that one,
    16 gauge bolt action,
    410/22 over under,
    45 cal Colt commander,
    380 auto, most useless pistol I ever owned,
    44 magnum Rugar Black Hawk, 9” barrel,
    Glock 17 9mm with night sights, still have 2 of those for personal protection,
    38 Special,
    243 bolt action Savage, still have,
    Muzzle loader, real antique from the Civil war, was a flint lock then rebuilt to cap, still have, still loaded from the civil war,
    Oh ya almost forgot, the old 303 British Enfield, would knock a tree down and just about did me the first time I fired it.

That’s all I can remember.
    I used to do a lot more target shooting than I do now, some skeet.
    Now I just target shoot to keep in practice.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I was 3 when I started shooting, we used to go out cutting wood for the winter in Idaho and we'd shoot a .22 and hit some pop cans. I sat in my dad's lap and shot and never had the gun to myself though. . Ahh, good times, I'm not letting my boy near a gun until he can settle down though. lol
  4. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

my dad was and still is opposed to owning guns or having them in the house. i am starting out now, better late then never. i am looking into buying a .22 bolt action to learn on, i might go bigger though
  5. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I’ve always believed in gun control myself.

Hitting my target with the first shot.

Seriously I have 3 kids and as soon as they were old enough, 15, to be responsible enough to handle a gun they were taught to respect all weapons as if they were loaded, whether or not they knew it was loaded.

But then Melanie and I were both brought up in homes with guns, and knew dam well if we ever touched them when dad wasn’t around or we weren’t on our way to the range or hunting.

We would not be here right now.

Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.

Respect every gun as if it was loaded, never point any gun in any direction that you would not want it fired.

It can be a tool,
    Put meat on the table.
    Put a rabid animal down,
    Protect yourself and family,
    The last one may be even more important if the economy doesn’t get better.
  6. GM_Guy

GM_Guy New Member 100 Posts

if I were to own a gun, it would be something very simple..... AK-47
  7. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have

22 Mossberg bolt action
    22 sears and roebuck bolt action
    Ruger 10/22 carbine with a 50 round mag
    20 gauge bolt action tube feed
    12 gauge semi auto

I love my 22's because I can go shoot all day and it costs next to nothing. Ammo is cheap and there's tons of it.
  8. GaryL

GaryL New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have quite a few guns, I love to hunt, love to shoot and my kids love to shoot and hunt. I got my first gun at 6, it was a Red Ryder BB gun. I got my first real gun, a .410 shotgun at age 10 from my dad and it went up from there. My dad bought my oldest son a .410/.22 combo when he turned 10 and just bought him a .243 deer rifle for Christmas this past year. He is now 12. My daughter wants her own gun, but she can use mine for a while since she is not left handed like her brother who needed a different gun.

I grew up around guns and have always kept great respect for them, which I have taught my children as well. My oldest son shot his first deer this year and my daughter (11) can shoot my deer rifle as well as I can, but I haven't let her shoot at a deer yet, maybe next year. My youngest son (5) loves guns and can shoot a nerf gun like nobody's business, but is not quite ready for the real thing.

I also carry a 9 mm on my hip just about everywhere I go, for personal protection.
  9. Sooner

Sooner New Member

My wife and I have a huge collection of guns but our favorites are as follows:

My preferred defensive weapon - Glock 21C .45 cal (hard to conceal but handles well)
    Hers - Sig Sauer 245 .45 cal
    Deer hunting - 25-06 Remington (very nice rifle but shells aren't always available at the local Wal-Mart)
    Bird, squirrel and rabbit hunting - Remington 1100 12 ga.
    Good clean fun - Bushmaster A3 Dissipator Carbine .223 rifle (AR-15) (which I don't own yet but it's coming soon I hope, as soon as my wife ok's it!)
  10. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Guns have always been part of my life as well as respect for them.

Glock 23 .40cal
    Baretta 92 9mm
    S&W .357 mag
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag
    Ruger 10/22
    Ithica 22mag
    Mossburg 500 12ga.
    SKS Paratrooper
    30-40 Krag sporterized
    Winchester 70 270
    Remington 700 300WSM
    Remington 742 30-06