Shopping for square body (< 1991) burbs, 1500 or 2500?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by MTScott, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:33 AM.

1. MTScott

MTScott New Member

I'm in a situation where I may have to haul two families around for awhile, so, 4 kids, and 2 moms.

In an effort to squelch my wifes urge to get a minivan, I'm shopping for a rig I might actually enjoy.

My preference is a small block right now, even though I know they are probably slow pigs at best in these years, but I plan to rectify that in the future. I am open to newer model suburbans if I find a clean one at the right price, but I'm currently just shopping for the square bodies.

What I'm really debating on, is whether I should consider 1/2 tons in my search. One of the duties of this rig will be hauling a 27' boat to the lake. Dry this boat weighs 5000 lbs, with fuel, trailer, etc, it probably tips the scales a between 7K-8K. While that is certainly 1/2 ton towable, how comfortably will it do it? I currently tow it with a 2008 F250 crew cab, and you definitely notice the boat is back there. Power aside, will it easily go down the road straight? Would you tow like this for 300 miles?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Cowboytrukr

Cowboytrukr Member

Wouldn't recommend a 1/2 ton just for drivetrain strength. 3/4 ton 8 lug, not "heavy half" 6 lug.

You need to be able to stop your 6500 lb self and that 7500lb boat. That's an awful lot to ask of the 1/2 ton chassis.

3. MTScott

MTScott New Member

Sage advice. Makes sense to me. Thanks

4. Beachbourbon

Beachbourbon Active Member 100 Posts

I would not recommend the 1500 either. There are plenty of 2500s around for those years. You may want to also consider a 4x4 since you will be on a wet boat ramp with a 27 ft boat to pull up.

5. Beachbourbon

Beachbourbon Active Member 100 Posts

Another big consideration in the model years you seek is fuel injection. In suburban s I know the 89s to 91s had it (TBI), no sure about earlier subs