1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

shortblock question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Tattooed_grease_monkey, Oct 24, 2009.

1. I have a '97 k1500 with a blown motor. I have a short block out of a '95 tahoe. can I use this block if I use the heads off of my '97? Or is there other things I will Have to change please let me know.
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I know that the 88-95 were TBI motors and in 96 they switched to the vortec motor, my initial guess would be that the blocks are different:neutral:
  3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Just did some more snooping and the 93 motor has a different style cam in it then the TBI motor and it would appear there are some other parts that would have swap over, so yes it would work but its just not a straight swap of heads and intake. Depending on what is wrong with the 97 motor it might be easier to just rebuild or get a used one from a junkyard, I know in my area they run $300-$500.
  4. Thanx for the info