1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shorty Headers vs Long Tube Headers

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by rackchaser71, Mar 19, 2009.

1. rackchaser71

rackchaser71 New Member

how much of a difference, i just ordered some summit racing series shorty headers for my 350tbi, i hear the long tubes are better, how much better???
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

Too late, you already bought the wrong ones!

Just kidding. The short ones are about the same as a stock manifold. The will fit almost anything and that's why they are called street rod headers. The "tuned headers" make each pipe close to the same length so when one cylinder fires there's no back pressure from the cylinder that just fired before it,, In not so many words. <G>
  3. mjalstad

mjalstad New Member

Long tubes are better but on a 350 tbi you are still going to see some gains with shorties. The 99-current trucks have manifold on them that are basically a shorty header so you won't see much of any gains putting shorties on a newer truck, but on yours you will see power and they will be a heck of a lot easier to install than long tubes.
  4. FireRed

FireRed New Member

Some of the reading I have done seems to say short to keep decent torque and long for higher RPM power, not saying I am right but passing the thought on.

Phil
  5. rackchaser71

rackchaser71 New Member

well cool id rather have torque anyways, i have 4:10s so its a little easier for me to get power to the ground anyways, im waitin on my tbi spacer too, headers and spacer will be here tomorrow, buddy has f250 with powerstroke and straight pipe im tryng to outrun, will deff need more than this though lol
  6. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos New Member ROTM Winner

That's about I've read also Phil. Appreciate the info, as I was lookin at the same issue (long pipe vs. shorites). With the CAI and exhaust pipes I already have, I was lookin for a bigger torque gain in the lower RPM range instead of all the power hittin about midrange. Just have to find a brand now, LOL! thanks for the good thread, rackchaser71 !