1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Should I be thinking about the Suburban?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ForkEvolution, Nov 24, 2008.

1. ForkEvolution

ForkEvolution New Member

Hey everyone,

Im new to the fourms so first of all I hope I can meet all of you. Im 16, and I'm most likely going to be lucky enough to get a car within the next two years. My question here is, should I get the Suburban? Now I know this depends on the circumstances, so Ill explain. Ive always liked the Suburban. I've always liked its look, my friend had it and I loved riding in it, and in my favoruite show the Sopranos, Tony Soprano drove one for the first couple of seasons. When I get my first vehicle, I know I want an SUV for sure. It would be mostly used for short drives I guess as I'll be going to University when I get it, so not a crazy amount of mileage for the first few years, or for most of the year excluding the summer at least. At the same time I want it to be able to hande winter well, rough weather, and just times when I need it. I know the gas mileage is its strong con, so thats really the only reason why Im asking, if its worth it for the mileage or not. My other idea right now for my first vehicle is a Nissan X-Terra, just for the interest of anyone.

As for the Suburban, I would definently be acquiring a used model, although im not exactly sure how old I would have to buy it, as this is up to those that would most likely be paying, my parents :lol:

Anyways, any specific advice on whether I should think of purchasing one or not, and things like if I do what year/model etc etc. Any help at all is great.

Thanks alot for your time, and thanks in advance for helping me out.
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

:sign0016: to the site!
    Ill say this first if you go to a GM site and ask this question they will tell you get the Burb.
    If you go to a Nissian forum theyll of course tell you to get the Xterra.

I can tell you the burb will be dependable (its got a bow tie on it now comeon) :happy:

I would reccomend a 99ish model its my favorite body style. If you are looking for fuel econonmy then go with the Nissian, because as many of the burb owners here will tell you the milage is pretty poor.

I would reccomend the 7.4 liter 2500 4x4 due to its massive amout of power and off road capabilities (which would be good in the winter weather)

Hope this helps!

You cant go wrong w a GM!
  3. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome!

Of course my opinion is biased, but you asked. Get the 'burb. You won't get what you're looking for with an Xterra (I figure you're probably looking for the cargo space and comfort of a full size truck). I have a 1/2 ton '94 that has the 5.7L V8 and I get ~12 - 13 mpg with mixed city/highway. Not too bad considering how old and heavy the truck is. The newer models get better mileage so it really depends on what you're comfortable with.

As far as what years to get, that depends on what you really want to do with it. If you're looking to make a full size trail/road rig, then get a pre-1991 model, then came with solid front axles. If your 4 wheeling will be kept somewhat mild to moderate, then an IFS will do just fine (I've taken on some pretty good trails with mine).
  4. ForkEvolution

ForkEvolution New Member

Ok so to make it more clear, I would like the comfort of the Suburban, and the space wouldnt be needed, but I like the space it has for times when it is needed. Im not really looking for any towing of any sort so I guess a 1999+ model would be better? The 4 wheeling will mainly be used during winters as I live in Canada and the conditions up here can get crazy sometimes. In addition, my main question about the mileage is, is do you think its bad enough to stop me from getting a Suburban with my current situation?
  5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ok, your looking at buying a suburban purely as status, you say no towing, off-roading, and maybe the few times a year when you could actually fill it with 7-8 people (when your not actually going for a road trip or DD) you will be only 18-19 and your insurance will not be pretty, even if you go 99+ you still will only be looking at 16mpg and you live in Canada isnt gas pretty much double what it is down here for a gallon. In MN I can garauntee you that for what you are looking at and what your age will be and male it would be $150 a month for insurance, thats hoping you dont get any tickets of any kind, i have paid even over $200 a month in insurance and no tickets just so I could have a cool vehicle at that age. so unless your parents are loaded and dont care then go ahead if not have fun with college and a fulltime job. Oh and fixing isnt cheap either! Not to sound like a jerk, but this is the truth. Your age and lack of driving experiance get what you NEED not what you WANT!
  6. ForkEvolution

ForkEvolution New Member

Yeah pretty true. Id most likely get a 99 or lower, and the prices on them are pretty good, like for a 96 I found an ad for about $4800. But I guess the long term costs add up. Is the X-Terra a more realistic car then in your opinion?
  7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

x-terra would be worse, overhead cams are not for the common man to work on and anything with a foreign name on it is just another way to say we are gonna charge you more for repairs. honostly if you are STUCK on an suv then get a jeep cherokee one of the boxy ones, cheap, the inline six is very dependable and easy to find if you want to lift it they are very reasonable for lifts as well. very easy to work on especially for beginners. may not be the most comfortable ride but for a first vehicle your main concern should be dependability/reliability and affordability not status. or an old chevy pick-up with a 350. SUV is more to ensure then a pick-up
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have a '91 Suburban and I get 13-16mpg with my 5.7L motor in it. I absolutely love my truck because of the space. I can camp out of the truck and be very comfortable. Insurance for me is pretty cheap, but I have it insured as a pleasure vehicle. However, a suburban is probably overkill for your needs. A nice small pickup might be better for the pocketbook. I dunno. Good luck!
  9. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
    Everyone is throwing their opinion in here so here is mine...

SUV's are very versatile and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Most of us already own or have owned a Chevrolet SUV so we are partial to the "Bow-tie" as mentioned before. No SUV is going to get great gas mileage (American or Foreign) because even though you might think a V6 would get better mileage than a V8, it's not true in many instances. Since you are dreaming about someday owning a Burban, why not look at the Tahoe instead? The Tahoe not only looks the same from the front and rear and is every bit as plush with the same interior, engine, just a little shorter and you will only miss some cargo space. I own a 2001 suburban that is my wife's vehicle and we got it for the cargo space and seating for having kids/grandkids to haul around We are pretty much only down to 2 kids at home instead of 4 now so when we upgrade it will be a Tahoe sized vehicle.
    Just my 2-cents. Good luck with your search and please feel free to hit us with more questions.
  10. ForkEvolution

ForkEvolution New Member

Thanks for the opinions guys. As for vncj96 I appreciate your realistic approach, but my main concern with my vehicle isnt going to be how much it will cost to repair. I know thats something that needs to be factored in, but you seem to have it as a prominent issue for you, while for me it would be a secondary issue.

For Crawdaddy, again I appreciate the response, but I want an SUV regardless, even if its not a Suburban or a X-Terra.

Finally to dwill, great post, I may post this thread in the Tahoe section. I was thinking of looking at a Tahoe too as it seemed like a similar truck just a bit smaller, and maybe that would be right for me.

Thanks for the help guys and keep posting your opinons, youve been great.