1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Should I buy 2011 Yukon XL with 137k miles?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jeffisgreat, Apr 5, 2014.

1. jeffisgreat

jeffisgreat New Member

Looking to buy a Yukon XL or Suburban for main family car.
    We drive about 20k miles a year with lots of camping and one or two 2,000 miles trips a year.
    4 kids and a couple dogs.
    We are looking at a 2011 Yukon XL with 137k for $25k.
    Perfect black color and clean interior. The price is right but miles are scary. Thoughts and opinions on buying a 3 year old truck with 137k miles? Picture wouldn't post

Other options are
    2008 Yukon XL Denali with 81k for $27k
    Or looking for a 2009 Suburban with under 60k miles

2. squatchy

squatchy Active Member 100 Posts

Gotta remember at those miles every repair is on you, unless you can get some odd extended warranty. I wouldn't touch it. But to each their own.

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

too many miles at that price . these vehicles have repair issues with this amount of miles , and the cost to repair can be very high. with that mileage $12,000 would be a good price.
    another reason is the amount of miles you do , and this is already at the high end of its life cycle.

I would say NO..

4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

That sounds a bit much to me also for that kind of mileage.. You should be able to find a something with lower milage for that kind of money. So to answer your question IMO I would say no also.. your a bit closer to a yes on the Yukon with 81k but I almost think thats even still a bit much.

5. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

The miles do not concern me as much as the price. You did not give much info, but I BB'd a SLT 1500 version just to see the price range. In "very good" condition, Private Party was about $18,500, and dealer price was about $21,000. Even though you say the price is right, it does not appear to be. Regarding the miles...how does one put that many miles on a 2011 vehicle? Well, it is likely they drove a lot of highway miles. Highway miles are really easy on a vehicle. If you can find out what they did to put that many miles on, and if it was long-distance commute on a freeway or such, I would be less concerned about the miles than the overall condition of the vehicle, which should be a clue as to how it was maintained. And, you should likely be able to buy it for quite a bit less. If you are buying from a car lot, I doubt they have more than about $15K into it. Just a guess, but would be close, I think. Keep in mind that anyone else looking at it is also concerned about mileage. The seller knows that is an issue, and should be easy to negotiate down significantly.

6. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

that many miles on 2011 ,may have been an airport service vehicle ..

7. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Now, that WOULD make a diff...hahaha...they beat the crap out of those vehicles. It is always good to get some history on the vehicle, if you can.

8. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 Rockstar 100 Posts

x2 with J Cat.

Around here an XL with 125k goes for around 18,500 on dealer trade in lot. Those year models range from 2009-2011. Most are in nice condition with a clean service history.

The 140/150k ranged XL's ranging from '09-'11 are on lots for 15,500 roughly. Clean also.

Seems as though they know that a newer vehicle yes will have a resale better than an older, but the mileage will hinder the seller from getting anywhere near that price. As stated get as much info on the service records and what it may have been used for. 47k miles almost a year is quite a bit of driving. It would have been on the road most every day as my fathers trucks are to accumulate that many miles in that short time frame.

9. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

I too agree, It would be at a better price of $12K to $18K. $25 is a lot over the price point I'd be interested in. These are sturdy trucks, but miles are miles. And risk is a bit high with those miles.

10. BornAgainBiker55

BornAgainBiker55 Rockstar 100 Posts

IMHO, no. That seems awful high, both in total miles and in miles per year. If it were me, I'd consider it for somewhere in the $10 range, and wouldn't even look at it for 2 and a half times that. I'd look for the 'Burb. Actually I'm starting to look for one, as the family will soon be a pack of kids all destined to be over 6'