Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Should i cut my muffler off or not?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by paulyboy, May 23, 2008.

1. paulyboy

paulyboy New Member

Does anybody think i should cut my muffler off get more HP or is just a to make it more louder:neutral:

2. CarGuy 2000

CarGuy 2000 New Member

I thought the same exact thing so I actully tried it. I ran it for about a week and it just got very annoying. I didn't notice any difference in fuel economy.

3. sheep

sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

yeah your just looking at noise, and if you have to pass emissions good luck finding someone to do it for you, i would suggest at least getting a catback, it will give you a little bit of git up and go and some nice sound not an annoying one. if you really want to get into it, intake, tb spacer, headers, high flow cat, bigger pipe/catback, youll notice the biggest difference

4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

yea dont bother. i would have to agree with what sheep said. thats the way to go for exhaust

5. no0b123

no0b123 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Leave it on (trust me!). If your looking for performance AND something louder, then you can just buy an after market muffler. I recommend Flowmaster because there really loud, go with the Original 40 series :great:

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The only power gain you'll get will be in the high RPM range, you'll lose power in the lower ranges. This is great, if you drive your truck on the hghway most of the time.
    Modern internal combustion engines require some back pressure to help create cylinder scavenging of burnt exhaust gases while running in the lower RPM range where most engines spend the majority of their time. Without scavenging your engine will lose some torque and possibly fuel mileage. The muffler and pipe are a key part of creating back pressure for the engine. Gasoline engine exhaust systems are designed to be slightly restrictive to assist in creating this back pressure.
    Not to mention you probably have neighbors who really dont want to hear a loud annoying truck driving through the neighboorhood, that fact alone is just discourteous and disrespectful to their peace and quiet.

7. ebollard

ebollard New Member

i have a 5.7 with straight pipes. i love the sound

8. sdpbob

sdpbob Rockstar 100 Posts

Yea I had a mangaflow cat back exhaust on my truck and I got bored with it so I cut off the muffler, havent noticed much beside the fact that it got a whole lot louder.

9. brandon812

brandon812 New Member

just do it the right way and get new mufflers....your gay if you cut them off