Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Should i do any upgrading to my truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Braapaholic, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Braapaholic

Braapaholic New Member

Hello well first off i have an 06' seirra 2500hd 6.0 litre! Its fairly bad on gas and i cant decide whether or not i should do any performance or body upgrades? It has 130,000km's which is decent for a used gas is it not? But how much life would u say i could get out of it? Its horrible on gas is the other thing and im not sure whether to keep it for a few years then sell it and buy a newer one im having a delema help please!!

2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

What kind of mileage do you get? Here in the US, even the new 2500HD truck get about 14MPG or 5.95Km/L.

3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Lots of people on this site have trucks that are much older than yours with a lot more miles. You may want to do a little research on here and read about what people have done to their rides, decisions made, and of course you'll read lots of different opinions. I guess it really comes down to what you are looking to get out of your truck, how much money you want to spend (monthly payment or spend what you would on truck payments and put into your current truck), consider mechanical issues (current or upcoming) etc. Also, bad mileage does not always equal spending lots of money if you don't drive too much per year.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we would need some more information to help provide you better/more helpful information. Start with searching the forum, let us know what you are leaning towards and why, and add some pics if you would like people to comment on body upgrades (i.e. do you have damage in need of repair or are you looking for ideas such as fender flares, color matching, etc.

I hope that helps some.....

4. Braapaholic

Braapaholic New Member

I get around 6km/L so not horrible!! :glasses:

- - - Updated - - -

So things i would wanna do to my truck would be a chip, new tires/rims something like 34" s a 6 inch lift, and new head and tail lights, also most likely 2 10" subs with a decent amp and a new deck! Its all fine for cosmetic stuff!! Interior and exterior "need" no work! Any sugesstions on chips, rims tires, any of the above listed things! Also maybe new muffler system and new intake

5. ayrron

ayrron New Member

I have 2 Silverado 1500s and one I put flowmaster supper 44s and the other one I ran straight pipe and it sounds even better than the one with the flow masters on it as far as head unit and subs pioneer has a really good head unit jl audio has good 10s for good price look at WWW.discounttiredirect.com for tires and rims

6. mfleetwood

If you lift and change tire size, you will also need to update your ECU with the new tire specs using a programmer...also, if you do want to increase tire size, you may want to ad re-gearing to your list, as you will lose some low end power and put more wear on your tranny. I'm partial to the Rancho 4" suspension lift (which really yields slightly over 5") because it was fairly easy to install, quality parts, and provided me just enough lift to cover 35" tires. I've also been happy with my BFG A/T KOs as I off-road quite a bit and like that they have a nice balance between off-road capability and street ride/performance.

For the programmer, I am very satisfied with my Diablo Sport Predator, as I have a performance custom tune, changed my tire size, and gear ratio (many programmers cannot change gear ratio). Also lots of people on this site have/like Diablo tuners as well...you may want to look at the Trinity though vs the Predator due to it being newer and having more capabilities.

With exhaust, you'll find that most of the quality systems are pretty comparable, so for some it comes down to sound. Here is a thread that contains sound tones for different exhausts.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/88136-Truck-Tones?highlight=exhaust tones

CAIs are also pretty comparable in performance, thus for many it comes down to preference (oil/no oil on filter), looks, etc.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  7. Braapaholic

Braapaholic New Member

Okay thanks for the info man!

8. Braapaholic

Braapaholic New Member

How much is the rancho 4" suspension lift? How much would all this run me up to??

9. mfleetwood

I think for your vehicle they're running between $1400 and $1500...However, if you also purchase shocks, Rancho is running a $400 rebate promo if you buy before June 30th. Or, if you don't want to purchase shocks, you'll still get a rebate but it will be less (rebate amount is determined by how much money you spend).

I was able to find my kit and shocks on Amazon and purchased though them. At the time, they had the best pricing I was able to find, free shipping, and no tax. Below is the link to Rancho's website. Take a look at the different shock options and see if you can put yourself together a lift and shock package and then jump on-line to price it out. Probably start with Amazon first and then go from there.

http://www.gorancho.com/index.php

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the link that explains why I went with the Rancho kit. I started this thread about 3 years ago and my kit is still doing great; especially since I have put a ton of off-road miles on it.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...lled-a-Rancho-4-quot-lift-on-my-2008-Z71-1500