1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by fishdaddy, Nov 6, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. fishdaddy

fishdaddy New Member

I have a 2013 Silverado and I know that the parts are just wearing in (550 miles on it). I was going to run it for 1000 miles and then change the oil. Is this really beneficial or a waste of money. Just trying to get the most life out of the engine. Thanks.
  2. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member 100 Posts

not really beneficial at all. do you know if it is full synthetic or not? if not, it would be beneficial to go ahead and swap to full synthetic
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have heard many different opinions of this. I have had some techs tell me to change it at 1,000 miles. They say that it cleans any metal out from the break in period. I have had some tell me to wait the full time, until the oil monitor is down to 15%, that the break in period metal (if any) is not an issue. I don't really know the correct answer. I would say that if you want to change it at 1000 miles for your piece of mind then do it. It is not hurting anything, just cost money. Are you going to run synthetic or conventional? I would recommend that you stick with the Ac oil filter no matter which oil you choose.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This is what I have been told, too. I think it's just a tactic to get repeat stealership business at the service counter and that what's in the owner's manual is what counts. After all, there's pretty much always metal shavings somewhere in the engine and tranny, and it's sheer age, size, and volume that determine if it's a healthy or unhealthy amount.

Do what the owner's manual says.
  5. silverhobey

silverhobey Member 100 Posts

Pikey....why do you suggest sticking withAC Delco filters?? Do they have more capacity or last longer....thanks for the info...Brian from Canada