1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Should I get it?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by senorschmidt, Dec 21, 2012.

1. senorschmidt

senorschmidt New Member

I have a 1996 k1500 burb with a 5.7 and the 4l60e w/corvette servo. Max towing on it is 5000lb and I just did a 400 mi trip towing a 4900lb trailer. It got there just fine, cruised the whole way in 3rd and never used overdrive, but on flat ground I could barley get to 55. I got to 59 once on a downhill! After the trip I looked on craigslist and I found a 2001 k2500 burb with a 6.0 and the 4l80e (i assume). Do you think I would notice much of a difference with the 3/4 ton burb or not? The weight didn't seem very unruly at all and seemed to tow just fine, except that it was completely gutless.

I am actually considering replacing the current burb with something that would do a better job. The extra added challenge is that my wife will use it as her daily driver and I have four kids, so a pickup is out of the question...unless somebody knows a cheap, safe, awesome way to add seats. Any ideas?
  2. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

Yes. You should get it... Newer, LS engine, 3/4 ton... What's the down side?
  3. senorschmidt

senorschmidt New Member

I just don't know how much of an improvement it would be.
    [TABLE]
    [TR="class: twhite"]
    [TD="class: ttext"]
    6.0 -
    Horsepower 315 @ 5000 RPM
    Torque (lb-ft) 365 @ 4000 RPM
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: ttext"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: tblue"]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

5.7 -
    [TABLE]
    [TR="class: twhite"]
    [TD="class: ttext"]Horsepower[/TD]
    [TD="class: ttext"]255 @ 4600 RPM[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: tblue"]
    [TD="class: ttext"]Torque (lb-ft)[/TD]
    [TD="class: ttext"]330 @ 2800 RPM[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

I know the 6.0 has more torque at a higher rpm, but I don't want to cruise at 4000rpm.

I am just curious to know how much of a noticeable difference there would be between the two trucks.
  4. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member

I love my 6.0l... Pulls my toyhauler like its not even back there. At cruising speed 65 mph I run at 2 - 2.5k rpm. Of course I have allot of mods done to my truck such as cold air intake headers and programmer.
  5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

I would say do it, if you are towing a heavy trailer all the time. It will burn a little more gas.....
  6. Bighornkid

Bighornkid Member

I would go for it, if the price is right. It was designed for towing.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

[MENTION=50552]senorschmidt[/MENTION], before I weigh in on your question I'd like to know what gear ratio you've got in your 1500. I mention this because your gearing may well be the culprit of the 'gutless' towing you mentioned. 4.10's would be adequate for towing the weight you described. 3.73's would be a bit of a dog, but I'd not expect them to be 'gutless' unless you're lifted and modded and such in addition to doing the towing. If your gears are longer than 3.73's, then I'd definitely expect your vehicle to have no grunt when towing that weight.
  8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Your max towing is 5000lb? How is that possible, the Tahoe of the same year which I own has a Towing capacity of 7,000lb with towing package(of course you must take in to account weight distributing and ratio). Check out your ratio if it is a 3.42 that explains your gutless towing, if it is 3.73 it shouldn't be too bad. My scoutmaster has a 98' with 4.10's and and it tows over 7,000 with out a problem with the same engine and tranny.
  9. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

My 03 with a 4.8 towed circles around any 350 (5.7) I ever had!
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Yeah, I'm one to think that the 5k# towing rating is also probably not accurate, is it? Then again we're talking about a '96 so I'd have to look that up as I don't recall off the top of my head.