1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

should I switch models

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by coombia21, Jan 3, 2010.

1. coombia21

coombia21 Rockstar 100 Posts

I am thinking about getting a plow but i am not sure if the 1500 can take the weight of the plow
    do I need to upgrade to the 2500hd or no i like my truck but dont want to break it just by plowing
    if i keep the 1500 what upgrades should i do if i put a plow on my truck
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You could run a plow with a 1500, but the added strength of the suspension components on the 2500 will give you a longer truck life, not to mention a stronger frame.
    Plowing takes a lot out of a truck, have you thought of going to the 3500, your in Minnesota and I have a feeling your truck will see a lot of plow action.
  3. coombia21

coombia21 Rockstar 100 Posts

i have but i cant find a 3500 in a non dually used
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Might have to travel out of state for the truck you need but I know their out there.
    Do a search on craigslist.com.
    I think with your intended use you'd be better off with the 3500.
  5. Alaskan

Alaskan Rockstar

I can tell you what I did. Instead of getting rid of my 1500. I went and bought a cheap "Clifford" truck. Which was an old red Chevy that was used by Alyeska pipeline personnel up in northern Alaska. This is a monster of a truck. The beauty of this is that the parts are easy to find and cheap if you have a problem. Also its definitely strong enough for any plow application. I only plow 9-12 times a year. My own home and various properties I own. If you plan on plowing a lot I agree with what was said before and a 3500 would be perfect. They shouldn't be too hard to find with a little patience. Basically. Get a "beater" plow only truck and keep your 1500. or Buy a 3500. Although, I have seen trucks with "plow packages" on them. 2500s I think.

Good Luck!!
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

^^ that would be my suggestion, if you have the room in your stable get a solid axle truck for plowing
  7. Shooter

Shooter Rockstar 100 Posts

You didn't say what year your pickup is? If it is still under warranty it will void it if you install a plow on a non HD 1500.
    I live in the buffalo NY area and most of the trucks we sell for plowing here are 2500's. You can get them equipped with the snow plow package on them, and the z71 package so you get the skid plates. and heavy alt shocks, etc..already installed. Most around here find that to be heavy enough, even the snow plow contractors. I
    have sold a few 3500s though, but most of those guys go with the diesel engine if they get the one ton model, for fuel mileage and for long term use. It gets even harder to find one of those that is not a dually, but if you can, that would be my suggestion for a great plow truck.