1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Should i Trade my 2010 CC Z71 in re oil consumption

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by gsvar200467, Dec 4, 2012.

1. gsvar200467

gsvar200467 New Member

started having the elusive oil burning issue with my 2010 Chevy Crew Cab z71 5.3 aluminum block with the 6 speed and AFM. A fouled no 1 cyclinder spark plug left me on the side of the road at 42,000 miles. did oil consumption test and was "within spec" at 1.5 quarts low during alotted time. Raised hell and am currently getting valve cover, oil defelctor - blah blah blah done today.

ive read just about every post on every gm forum on this but nothing has been stated withing the past 6 mos on actually fixing the issues. i know most ppl are having the rings/pistons changes. but i have really been thinking about trading for a 2013 or something. just worried what problems will happen above 100K miles when the warranty is out.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That would have to be your decision. If you can afford to do it, then go for it. If I could afford a new truck I would do it. The 5.3L oil consumption is a known issue. I know guys with 2012 trucks using 1.5-2 quarts of oil between every oil change. So, you could end up with the same issue. But, at least you would have a fresh warranty. I think that it just depends on the specific truck. My 2002 silverado 5.3l never used any oil, my 2003 yukon xl 5.3l, used about a quart every 2,000 miles. As of now (fingers crossed) my 2005 yukon xl 5.3l uses no oil. The silverado was purchased new, the yukons with around 130,000 on the clock
  3. gsvar200467

gsvar200467 New Member

good to know the 2012 are still having this issue too.

man i love this truck to. it is litterally my dream truck. i hate to get rid of it just want to feel comfortable long term.
  4. Pikey

My friend is doing his oil consumption check with the dealership now. They brought to his attention that the truck was 2 quarts low at the first oil change. He checked it the day he bought it and did not check it again until the first oil change.
  5. gsvar200467

gsvar200467 New Member

i am going to be sure to check mine tonight from what i hear the dealers have been overfilling oil res to appear to not be burning as much as they really are. also recycling old oil they take out these trucks during the consumption test. once my oil is taken out i dont want that **** put back in my motor
  6. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

with these oil useage problems I find it common that these owners bring the vehicle in for these oil useage checks on leaving the dealership the oil in the crankcase is over filled.

IS THERE A GM TSB THAT INSTRUCTS THESE DEALERSHIPS TO OVERFILL ?

Seems quite widespread 1 qt of oil every 1000mi. AFM 5.3L engine.
  7. Or you could change your own oil and not worry about it being overfilled or recycled and can calculate how much is being burned.

Is the warranty done at 100 K? If so why not keep that truck until the warranty is up and maybe by that time Chevy has fixed the newer models engines so they don't that burn a 1 qt per 1000 mi. Cause it sounds like that the 12 or the 13 are still burning oil. I don't know if its the best suggestion but it is a thought.
  8. gsvar200467

gsvar200467 New Member

yeah i have the extened warranty 100K and all work being done under warranty.

well i picked my truck up and now i have a engine "knock" at idle. almost like a miss like the truck wants to stall with what seems to me like really low oil pressure. heres a video of the tach and oil pressure gauge.

http://youtu.be/XYr-XFMnT8w

9. Pikey

I would be dropping it back off in the morning!
  10. gsvar200467

gsvar200467 New Member

without a doubt.

just did a little test, let it sit for 2 hours in my drive way and went for a little drive. all was looking good good oil pressure no rpm ramping until about 10 mins of drive time then all problems came back. rough idle felt like stall with "lower" oil pressure