1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Should i Trade my 2010 CC Z71 in re oil consumption

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by gsvar200467, Dec 4, 2012.

1. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

did you have it repaird? if there was oil in the intake (usualy drawn in though the pcv system) and it wasnt removed then it could still possible smoke. easy to check for oil in the intake on your own. just pull the tube of the throttle body and lift up the throttle blade, peak in with a flash light and if you have liquid in the bakc of the intake (behind) the baffle in back) that is level with the hole then there could be too much oil still in the intake.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Nope gotta goback at 1000 miles..
  3. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

sounds like there following procedure and have started an oil consumption test then. gotta do it the way the General wants.
  4. gsvar200467

gsvar200467 New Member

Bayoujetta

What dealer in br did you use. I had my pistons and rings changed at all star Chevy. Still kinda idles irratic tho. I got a letter about the throttle position sensor that may be what I have changed next. Fingers crossed about oil burn as I only have 1000 or so miles since work.
  5. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 New Member

Ok after reading this thread i did some investigating and heres my question. It seems cylinder 7 is a prob child that has the valve under it and after seeing it i see its pretty close to the cylinder when the oilpan is installed. Also the pcv is in the valve cover over #7. Is the problem the pcv system sucking up the oil mist from the valve? It makes alot of sense and here is my idea, why not get a large catch can and plumb inline between the pcv port on the valve cover and the manifold? I dont think it would matter where the valve is but it might. Then after 2000 mile see how much the can collected. Im willing to bet there would be a quart in there. So i think if gm flips the system to have the fresh air input to the #7 spot and the pcv at the #2 where the fresh air currently is. Also i think the longer this prob lasts causes the coked up rings and further oil consumption. This is my theory and would love to hear from somebody else on this. If i had this prob i would try the catch can.
  6. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

@shibby2oo8 my understanding is the problem has been corrected (the new valve cover and oil deflector on the afm valve) and is in all the new vehicles. the problem is only occuring in a certain year (block/plant) of engine and once all these problem childs are weeded out thne we should be good.
  7. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 New Member

Sounded more widespread. You would be amazed how much crap a bad pcv can suck up.
  8. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

think of how many trucks have been sold between 2007 and 2010/11.

also these trucks no long have a PC valve. instead they have a fix oraphice in the drivers side valve cover.
  9. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 New Member

Even more so, if i had one of these i would put a catch can in to see. I really think its not so much the rings as the oil is just getting sucked up. My 4 banger integra was smoking like a 50's log truck when the pcv gummed up and its a 1/4 the displacement.
  10. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

Are the 2012 and 2013 5.3L engine having this problem?

My 2008 used to use about 1qt every 5K. My 2013 only has 2800 miles on it and the dipstick reads full as of right now.