Should i Trade my 2010 CC Z71 in re oil consumption

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by gsvar200467, Dec 4, 2012.

1. 1BadSierra2011

1BadSierra2011 Member 1 Year

I have a 2011 Sierra with the 5.3. I haven't had an issue with the oil consumption. But my rear main seal went out at 12,000 miles. And i have had issues with the 6 speed, i dont know if it is so much an issue, but when slowing down it feels like it cant shift down fast enough. I love my truck i would risk the issues after 100k!:party:

2. jswain

jswain New Member

I have an 08 Sierra with the 5.3 that I bought about 2 months ago, certified used with 12/12 warranty. Iron block. It has 54k miles. I changed the oil pretty soon after I got it and have put about 2k miles on it since and it has not moved. One thing I have noticed, people talk about the oil being overfilled on the dipstick. I put 6 quarts in when I changed the oil and filter, and it reads high on the dipstick (looks like I overfilled it, but 6 quarts is what the owner's manual said, so that's what I put).

I noticed my truck spark knocking fairly bad, but none of the dealers can hear it, they claim. I changed the plugs last night and they looked like they had a little more carbon on them than I would have suspected at 54k miles. I do love the truck, but if I can't get this spark knock thing figured out or if it starts burning oil, I'm getting rid of it. I will trade to an older truck if I have to, as I don't want to spend more money. I saved up money and paid cash, can't afford to pay anymore and I don't generally like to make payments.

Also I test drove a 6 speed (mine's a 4) and notice what you were talking about. If I stopped quickly, I could feel the trans downshift, sort of a bump forward. I don't know if that's normal or not, but it must be pretty common.

As a side note, I saw a guy at the convenience store yesterday with an 07 with 94k miles. I asked him how long he'd had it, how it had performed. He said he'd had it about 4 years and it had been a great truck, but he'd never seen one use so much oil. So the oil consumption may be pretty widespread. Not sure how long I'll have mine. Not sure GM had it together on these trucks. Like I said, I like the truck, but I bought a newer model with low miles so I wouldn't have to be trying to fix something on it. Not to screw around with the dealership service department. If I have to work on it, give me an older model. lol

3. 1BadSierra2011

1BadSierra2011 Member 1 Year

i am thinking about trading my truck in now. It has just been running weird lately kinda sluggish and just isnt performing like i want from a gas truck. I think i gotta get back in a diesel. My old duramax was best truck i ever owned

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Well I am going Back to the dealer Sat morning. I got a new code too P2227 I think.. Lean on Bank 2 02 sensor. And the Blue smoke is Thick in the mornings.. So I called them today and said In all of my Trucks all over 100K I NEVER had a problem like this!!!! :grrrrrr: I am NOT happy with this...

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

looks like someone might be getting new pistons and rings! I would prefer if they just replaced the motor. I wonder if all that burning oil messed up your cat

6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I think maybe.. and the 02's.. I will talk to them Sat morning

7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

that stinks enkei. good luck at the dealer!

Alex

8. jswain

jswain New Member

Wow, you changed your mind pretty fast. lol

I don't want to speak too soon, but changing the plugs on mine seemed to help with the spark knock. Since I changed them, I've put about 50 miles on it and have only heard it once, with 87 octane. And I was really lugging the motor, barely touching the gas at 45 mph in V4 trying to make it knock. I hear it a lot less now than I did with the old plugs with 89 octane.

Does not burn any oil yet. The only thing I can think of that might have caused it is I pulled a trailer in the Christmas parade going realy slooooww and doing a lot of idling. I noticed the knock that same night on the way home. So maybe I fouled a plug?? I've honestly never fouled a plug before except on a 2 stroke dirt bike or a husqvarna chain saw....but maybe that's what happened?

- - - Updated - - -

That's too bad. Remind me again what other issues you've had? Were you also burning oil, I guess? Blue smoke in the exhaust, so I guess you are burning oil. The 02's might be reading correctly, but the oil in the exhaust is telling the computer it's running richer than it is, then the PCM leans the fuel mixture more than it needs to. Maybe.

Either way, good luck. BTW, is it an iron block or alum block and what has the dealer done so far to correct the oil burning again, if anything?

9. gsvar200467

gsvar200467 New Member

Just a quick update to this thread. I had the pistons and rings swapped out a few weeks ago and have since put about 1300 miles on the truck. When I first got it back it ran like a dream then last week it starred idling rough again. Not as bad as before but a noticeable shimmy to the truck and some bouncing of the rpm tach. :sigh: plan on pulling my plugs today and seeing what they look like. Not sure what the next step is if still fouling plugs. It's amazing how you can have a misfire from fouling plug and never throw a code.

10. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

its plausible that its not a severe enough missfire for the ecm to detect. the only way it detects a missfire is by crank shaft speed.

if i was you, if you pull the plugs and find them fouled (specially 1 and 7), id stick them back in and go back to the dealer and continue to pursue repairs.