1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Show Your Aftermarket/Custom Grille!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by unsub, Sep 19, 2013.

1. unsub

unsub New Member

I'm going for a type of blackout look, need to stay street legal so I couldn't do a full blackout look with the light housing or tint the front side windows but my burb will be 99% black when done, this includes emblems, shocks, springs, wheels and bumpers. Having custom emblems made by Roger over at Emblempros.com

Body guy helped me install this grille this afternoon. After all was said and done I could of done this on my own but he was a huge help and saved me much time and frustration. Any of us who have ordered aftermarket items for our autos know almost everything never fits as it is advertized. This grille was no exception but not too bad after the fact. At first it looked hopeless but we prevailed. I removed the old grille the night before so we could get to it immediately and the only real issue was the headlights had to be removed. Not difficult being it's just the two rods for each headlight but it looked as if the grille was just too big, and now in order for me to change bulbs I have to remove the two top bolts that hold this grille in place and pull grille out at top corners in order to get light housing out far enough to change bulbs, or to reach the bumper light clip and replace those bulbs. Still not a biggie. Once fitted in it went quick being the factory bolt holes were in line with the grille holes so no bending, grinding or cutting. I don't really like the fact that the four main bolts that hold this grille to the "support core" of the Burb are secured in a plastic frame. I guess I should say I don't like the fact the the Burb support core is plastic. But the four bolt system connected to the stock plastic core seem to hold strong. Time will tell.

Let me know what you think. I like it. I was driving around today without any grille and to me that looked better than the ugly stock plastic POS. lol There really isn't that much too choose from in black. I could of painted any grille black I guess but I wanted the billet look and no bowtie as I'm having a 6" custom badge for the grille and three smaller ones for other parts of the body made.
    It would be real cool if I could find a way to billet out all the front lights for daytime, something like the old Dodge Chargers have. Pop-ups.

Post pics of your grille!

100_0961.jpg
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Let's get this thread going! A custom grille is the next mod on my list. I'd love to see lots of pics, especially of the NBS trucks like the one in the OP. ^^^
  3. G1500

G1500 New Member

Wow that OP looks good. Thanks for sharing.
  4. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

cheeeeese.jpg
    cheeeeesen.jpg
    Painted the tie myself, got the inserts on ebay (lol)... if it wasn't for Texas DPS officers.. the plate would still be in the window, but I got tired of getting pulled over. :rules:
  5. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I thought it was OK to have the plate in the front window? I see that all the time.
  6. 08_rado_rocker

Not according to the 6 DPS officers who have pulled me over. I thought the same thing. Had one even pull me over on Christmas day over this issue last year.
  7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

that seems dickish.

heres mine.

Alex

Attached Files:

8. unsub

unsub New Member

Truck Norris looks awesome rocker, one of the nicest I've seen. If one likes the chrome/stainless look they would have to love your front end.

Two plate states sucks, as most probably are. Never understood the need for a front plate at all. Thanks for kicking this thread into gear.

Like the black billet Sierra, I'm assuming it's black and aluminum. Love the aftermarket fogs, still have to grab a pair to help the factory fogs out and find a good spot for em.

Good stuff.
  9. 08_rado_rocker

LOL... glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks so!

:great:For certain! ...I have not, and will not ever understand the need for having a plate in the front either. The only time I've ever seen it be of ANY use was when someone hit my friend's truck parked on the street and ran, but left their license plate! (3rd offense DWI btw):rofl:

Thanks for the compliments!
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  10. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member

after market grill

carriage works billet polished. 3 piece. photo.jpg