1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Showing Signs of Life

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 454Caddy, Aug 6, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. 454Caddy

454Caddy New Member

First, let me thank you all for being so accepting of my hybrid vehicle. By hybrid I mean it is a 1992 Suburban powered 1937 Cadillac LaSalle.

Life has been getting in the way of my hot rod build...so I took the day off and spent it in the garage. This would have been more fun if it wasn't 110 degrees in the shade.

I am using the wiring harness from the 1992 Suburban that I took the engine out of. So far I am glad I did because I get some new car luxuries that would have taken me forever to wire myself.

I have the Caddy wired, but there is one more gremlin I am trying to overcome. The headlights and the turn signals are all working, but when I turn on the parking lights or headlights the turn signals do not light up.

I have three wires (brown, black, and dark green/yellow) running to the turn signals, but the turn signals are 1941 chevy tailights with just two wires. the only way the turn signals work is to connect the ground and then the green or yellow depending on which side. The minute I connect the brown to anything the turn signals stop working, but the running lights turn on.

Am I missing something?
    Thank you

2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

wish I could help, but I wanted to join this thread to read along in the adventure. can u possible post some pics of ur monstrosity?

3. 454Caddy

454Caddy New Member

Pictures, thanks for your interest.

Before Disassembly.JPG

subengrem1.JPG

engine 1.JPG

4. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

thats coming out sick keep us updated :)

5. heavy chevy

heavy chevy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I am not sure but you have two choices in my book buy new lights with updated wires. Or use a jumper wire and feed the brown as a negative. I am no electrician so i cant be sure.

6. Mean_Green_95

What was the previous engine in the Caddy? Just curious, but have you ever though of using a Cadillac 500 out of an old Hurst?

7. 454Caddy

454Caddy New Member

The original engine would have been a flathead 8. I considered a Cadillac 500 but decided I wanted a newer engine and TBI system.

8. Mean_Green_95

OIC. I guess just to be different, I would have gone with the 500. Theres this new efi set up that is essentially plug and play. It looks just like a carb, it mounts on a carb intake and accepts a carb's air cleaner. It doesn't require a return line or a laptop to set it. It comes preset from the factory and starts right up the first crank. The only problem, its a pretty penny if u would want it.

9. Ryebread330

Ryebread330 New Member

Your light problem

You most likely figured this out by now seeing that its more than a year ago. But I had a similar issue putting trailer lights on a toyota pick-up they had a converter at the auto parts store from a 5 wire to a 4 wire light system. it sounds to me like thats what you got going on. hope this helps some one.