1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sierra transmission acting strange

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by GAPartsMN, Feb 24, 2010.

1. GAPartsMN

GAPartsMN New Member

So I have a 1999 Sierra 5.3, I had the transmission rebuilt in October. Last week I was driving and lost all gears, no slipping, just like the truck was in neutral. I get the truck towed home, all of a sudden I have a transmission again. I am able to drive about 2 miles and I loose everything again, shut the truck off, restart a few minutes later and the transmission shifts fine again and then the cycle starts over. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be?
  2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Need to get it scanned for codes......
  3. GAPartsMN

GAPartsMN New Member

I am waiting a few days to get a Tech II scanner. Just looking for some ideas before then.
  4. Gambit

Gambit Rockstar 100 Posts

sounds like maybe your linkage wasnt adjusted properly? If it feels like it is slipping into neutral it probably is. Did you get a warrentee on the rebuilt tranny?

When it loses drivability is it after going over a bump or something? That could lean even more towards the linkage not being adjusted properly. next time it happens throw the gear selector in neutral and pop it back to drive see what happens or go for the lower gear selections.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  5. GAPartsMN

GAPartsMN New Member

I have a warantee on it. The truck is currently with the rebuilder. The problem just happened and the truck is basically undrivable now, There is no pattern as to when it happens, just seems to after about 2 miles. You can shift the lever and it won't go in any gear. You shut the truck down for about 2 minutes and you are good to go another mile or two (shifts just fine in that time frame)
  6. Gambit

Gambit Rockstar 100 Posts

You gotta love electronic transmissions.
  7. GAPartsMN

GAPartsMN New Member

..or not. Hopefully I will get it figured out soon. Had to buy a Cavalier Z24 to get me around until I get my truck back.