Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Silly question - hitch and ball swapping

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Kraziken, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a two hitch with ball from my old suburban. My new Burb has a lift, so I purchased a new drop hitch without a ball.

As I suspected, when I try to take the old ball off and put it on the new hitch, it spins in place. My silly question is, how do I remove the tow ball without marring it? My only thoughts is to clamp it the ball portion in a vice?

Thanks

2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

A new hitch ball is usually under $10 ( just looked at Autoanything.com and they are $6.95) so that would be the route I would take. Also, the hitch balls I have, come with flat sides near the base to use a large wrench on, besides the wrench or socket on the nut.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  3. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

A pipe wrench. Use the pipe wrench on the ball part and then the wrench on the nut underneath.

4. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

There is a joke here.....but I'm not going to tell it.:glasses:

5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Nutz!!!:wink:

6. 05-Burb

05-Burb New Member

I use a pipe wrench with a rag around it to keep from damaging the ball. Hold it as close as you can to the receiver.

7. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

Yeah, you know the unit I have came as one when I bought it. It does not have flat sides to make for easier swapping.

I said screw it and bought a new ball. Sometimes being cheap costs too much.

8. Darknesss23

Darknesss23 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

:great::great::great::great::great::great::great::great::great::great::great::great: