Silver Star Ultra Bulbs

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by bvogts25, Dec 28, 2009.

1. bvogts25

bvogts25 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hello everyone. I hope you all had a great christmas and got everything you wanted for your truck. I'm looking at up grading my front head lights and I really dont want HIDs cuz my truck is already a wiring nightmare. So my question is, is there a big difference between silver star ultra bulbs and the stock bulbs that come in the truck? I know they are supposed to be a brighter and whiter light than stock, but is there a significant difference?

Thanks and Happy Holidays

2. Dr Len

Dr Len Rockstar 100 Posts

I had Silver Stars. The problem they dont last long. Meaning they burn out. Look for a buld that has a lifetime warranty.

3. bvogts25

how long ago did you get yours? because ive heard they have made improvements on them to last a little longer

4. Kyles03

Kyles03 Rockstar ROTM Winner

HID's really don't have alot of extra wiring, its plug in and play.

5. bvogts25

ok. so what is the whole process for installing a HID kit or does anyone have a link that explains it? i saw a video on youtube that looked really complicated.

6. Coolwheels05

Coolwheels05 Rockstar 100 Posts

All you have to do on an 05' is unplug the plug from your headlight bulb. Plug that plug into the ballast that comes with the kit. Take the plug that comes out of the ballast and plug it into the back of the HID bulb that you replace your stock bulb with. Find a good clean surface to mount the ballast too. It comes with double sided tape. That's it. I assume that it's the same for yours.

7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I bought the PIAA extreme white halogen bulbs in the H1 style, for both my high beams and low beams and I loved them. Yeah I know they are expensive:sign0023:, I was tempted to buy the Silverstars until I heard about the short life of them. I have had mine in for 2 years, and they are still working nicely! Here's a video if you want to see them in action, and keep in mind these are projector headlights as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-psa0rMKQ"]YouTube- Matrix projector headlights[/ame]

8. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I had the burnout problem with the PIAA bulbs. I installed the Silverstars and they haven't burned out <yet>. :)

The PIAA's were a little brighter and a lot more expensive. I've only been running the Silverstars for a little less than a year but so far so good.

9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Ive run the silverstars in my wifes car for a few years and they are a brighter white than typical halogens. I found the filaments to break very easily though. Just swapped them out for HID's in her car and projector lenses(for christmas) cuz she still complained they werent bright enough. It was simple enough just had to modify the housing where the wires went into the lens and wasnt anywhere to mount the ballast but I found a spot to tuck them away.

10. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

since you just installed yours, could you give us a post on how-to install them? with pics?