Silverado 1500 end links needed

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by buckmeister2, Feb 24, 2013.

1. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hi, I need new sway bar end links on my 2001 1500 4x4 x-cab. The exterior sleeves on both links are rotted out. I went to look for replacement end links online, and found several, but they detailed a sway bar of 1.42", which is not even close to mine (measured to be 1.14" diameter with a digital micrometer). The end links I looked up were specifically for my truck/eng/cab/4x4, but my sway bar is not the same. Do any of you know what the "1.42" is referring to, or where to get end links for my truck? The ones I found online referenced GM part number 7-1168.

Did a search on our site, but could not find answers.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

your sway bar rod 1.14 in dia is slightly over 1-1/8inch .. auto zone has the parts. I would replace the end links and the sway bar bushings all at the same time.

how does your vehicle have rusted links in las vegas ? my rust belt 2000 does not have these issues.

3. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hey, j,

Thanks for the answer. I deal with autozone a lot, and got some of the info from their site. I wanted to confirm the bar size before i bought. i will go there today and see what they have.

coincidentally....my truck spent it's first 11+ years in Mass. It has rust throughout the undercarriage. Some on the rocker panels. I am slowly cleaning off rust and repainting where it does not affect operation, and replacing parts that are rusting through. I've mentioned earlier that I think the truck was greatly neglected after the first owner sold it. After I remove the end links, I will post a pic of the rusted sleeve...pretty much not even there. Replacing the front hubs and tie rods was a real workout with everything rust-welded in place. Used a lot of PB and penetrating oils.

jim

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

11 yrs of use up here in MA is the reason its rusted out. I battle the rust every year in the fall going over the vehicle coating all the rust on the frame and any I find on the body.

last year I had to do the rear crossmember over the rear of the fuel tank it rusted out 1/3 of the frame tube was left. directly over the fuel tank rear. the only body rust was the rocker panel at the rear of the cab. what I found was GM did not put any drain holes on the panel at the end . when I cut off the rusted metal you could see the water line like on a boat.

I usually put some oil on those stabilizer pins to keep the rust down .

I have had to do this on many other vehicles that the pins and bushings are in need of replacement . with the new bar bushings it should handle better. AZ says 1-3/16 in which should be correct.

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I have the Hellwig Sway bar links in the rear of my 08 they were better built then the GM links..