1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Silverado 1500 end links needed

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by buckmeister2, Feb 24, 2013.

1. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member

Hi, I need new sway bar end links on my 2001 1500 4x4 x-cab. The exterior sleeves on both links are rotted out. I went to look for replacement end links online, and found several, but they detailed a sway bar of 1.42", which is not even close to mine (measured to be 1.14" diameter with a digital micrometer). The end links I looked up were specifically for my truck/eng/cab/4x4, but my sway bar is not the same. Do any of you know what the "1.42" is referring to, or where to get end links for my truck? The ones I found online referenced GM part number 7-1168.

Did a search on our site, but could not find answers.

Thanks,
    Jim
  2. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

your sway bar rod 1.14 in dia is slightly over 1-1/8inch .. auto zone has the parts. I would replace the end links and the sway bar bushings all at the same time.

how does your vehicle have rusted links in las vegas ? my rust belt 2000 does not have these issues.
  3. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member

Hey, j,

Thanks for the answer. I deal with autozone a lot, and got some of the info from their site. I wanted to confirm the bar size before i bought. i will go there today and see what they have.

coincidentally....my truck spent it's first 11+ years in Mass. It has rust throughout the undercarriage. Some on the rocker panels. I am slowly cleaning off rust and repainting where it does not affect operation, and replacing parts that are rusting through. I've mentioned earlier that I think the truck was greatly neglected after the first owner sold it. After I remove the end links, I will post a pic of the rusted sleeve...pretty much not even there. Replacing the front hubs and tie rods was a real workout with everything rust-welded in place. Used a lot of PB and penetrating oils.

jim
  4. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

11 yrs of use up here in MA is the reason its rusted out. I battle the rust every year in the fall going over the vehicle coating all the rust on the frame and any I find on the body.

last year I had to do the rear crossmember over the rear of the fuel tank it rusted out 1/3 of the frame tube was left. directly over the fuel tank rear. the only body rust was the rocker panel at the rear of the cab. what I found was GM did not put any drain holes on the panel at the end . when I cut off the rusted metal you could see the water line like on a boat.

I usually put some oil on those stabilizer pins to keep the rust down .

I have had to do this on many other vehicles that the pins and bushings are in need of replacement . with the new bar bushings it should handle better. AZ says 1-3/16 in which should be correct.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have the Hellwig Sway bar links in the rear of my 08 they were better built then the GM links..