1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

silverado alternator swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by superchevyman, Oct 25, 2012.

1. superchevyman

superchevyman New Member

hello i recently got a HO alternator from a friend that came off a wrecked S10 it had a single wire pig tail that is the same style as the one on my 2001 silverado it bolted right in with minor modifications when i started my truck it only read that it was charging at 12 volts. I was informed that the s10 and has a internal voltage charging regulator and the silverado has a external regulator which may be the cause of why the HO of the s10 is not triggering a charge has anyone ever done a conversion like this or know of a bypass to trigger the internal regulator?
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

the silverado has an internal regulator/diode assy. what is the cause of this problem would be the small wires connector at the rear of the alternator that interfaces with the pcm of your vehicle.

the silverado comes with the 105 or 13OAMP ALTERNATORS. both are interchangable.
  3. superchevyman

superchevyman New Member

thanks for the reply I understand the concept if i were to install a dual alternator set up and run the HO output on a separate system would the PCM still conflict with the alternators output?

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

installing another alternator would be alot of work. having an altrnator that does not require any external control input and having the 12 volt output go to a audio power amp only or some other device would work. just keep them separate . make sure the ground is at the same place. use a separate battery for this 2nd alternator.

on my boat I removed the troublesome 12 volt generating system[no alternator] and installed this type alternator.