1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Silverado and Sierra reliability -- better stats (please sign up)

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mkaresh, Oct 30, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. mkaresh

mkaresh Rockstar 100 Posts

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now reports absolute repair rates that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so it's possible to track vehicles closely as they age.

Over 300 Silverado and Sierra owners have already signed up to participate. A good start, but more are needed to provide full results for all years. So I'm grateful that this forum has given me permission to post this thread.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Silverado and Sierra, for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research

2. mkaresh

We've updated reliability stats for the Silverado and Sierra to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 40, better than average

2007: 14, better than average

2006: 101, about average

2005: 40, better than average; actual result probably similar to 2004 nd 2006

2004: 113, bout average

Decent sample sizes for the 2007 and 2008, very small sample sizes for the others.

Everyone who has been helping, thanks, I appreciate it. We'll have further updates in February and May. If you haven't already signed up to participate, I hope you will. With more participants we could provide full results for all model years from 1995 on.

Chevrolet Silverado reliability comparisons

GMC Sierra reliability comparisons

Same results both pages.

3. mkaresh

333 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra pickup owners now signed up. A good start, but more are needed to provide precise results for all model years from 1995 on.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research

4. mkaresh

We've updated reliability stats for the Silverado and Sierra to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 39, better than average

2007: 15, better than average

2006: 70, about average

2005: 62, about average

2004: 87, about average

2001: 55, better than average, very small sample size and probably too low to be accurate

Decent sample sizes for the 2007 and 2008, small sample sizes for the others.

Everyone who has been helping, thanks, I appreciate it. We'll have further updates in May and August. If you haven't already signed up to participate, I hope you will. With more participants we could provide full results for all model years from 1995 on.

Same results both pages.

5. mkaresh

Recently enhanced the related repair history survey so that it can (optionally) be used as a personal car maintenance record for vehicles 2000 MY and newer. The main survey goes back to the 1995 model year.

As always, more participants would be helpful. Updated Car Reliability Survey results in May.

Car reliability research

6. mkaresh

We've updated reliability stats for the Silverado and Sierra to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 54, about average

2007: 21, better than average

2006: 78, about average

2005: 50, better than average

2004: 85, about average

2001: 85, better than average

Everyone who has been helping, thanks, I appreciate it. We'll have further updates in August and November. If you haven't already signed up to participate, I hope you will. With more participants we could provide full results for all model years from 1995 on.

Same results both pages.

7. mkaresh

We've updated reliability stats for the Silverado and Sierra to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 49, about average

2007: 21, better than average

2006: 64, about average

2005: 77, about average

2004: 44, better than average

2001: 84, better than average

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants we could provide full results for all model years from 1995 on.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Same results both pages.

8. mkaresh

We've updated reliability stats for the Silverado and Sierra to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

2008: 70, about average

2007: 32, better than average

2006: 51, better than average

2005: 75, about average

2004: 39, better than average

2001: 57, better than average

2000: 68, better than average

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants we could provide full results for all model years from 1995 on.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Chevrolet Silverado reliability ratings and comparisons

GMC Sierra reliability ratings and comparisons

Same results both pages.

9. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Great idea MK. I hope it is successful, & more people join.

10. mkaresh

We've updated reliability stats for the Silverado and Sierra to include owner experiences through December 31, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of this year.

2009: 16, better than average

2008: 61, about average

2007: 36, better than average

2006: 54, better than average

2005: 83, about average

2004: 45, better than average

2001: 49, better than average

2000: 73, better than average

Decent sample sizes for the 2004, 2007, and 2008, small sample sizes for the others.
    Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants we could provide full results for all model years from 1995 on.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Chevrolet Silverado reliability ratings and comparisons

GMC Sierra reliability ratings and comparisons

Same results both pages.